1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Small Puffers in Mixed Reef Aquariums?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jwess, May 7, 2008.

1. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone here experienced keeping small puffers, such as sadle back or honeycomb, in  a reef aquarium.  There profile says not reef compatable as they may eat small inverts and nip at other fish.  They are cool little fellas and would be an interesting little fish to have.  But maybe not if they would ruin everything. 
    Josh

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i can tell you I have a cowfish, he leaves alone the serpent stars, hermits, and hard LPS corals I have, he has tried to eat the nasarius snails (unsuccessfully) he ate the two soft corals (they were an experiment anyway) and he has eaten the sand sifting star and red thorny star. He is a box fish though, but it's all the info I have for you on my end.

3. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Canthigasters or sharpnose puffers need to feed on coralline algaes and SPS, crustaceans, echinoderms, mollusks, and trunicates. They need these critters with hard shells to keep the growth of their teeth in check.
    Edit to add:  If you are placing it in a lightly stock 120g+, your other fish should not have any problems (crescent shaped chunks missing from their bodies).