1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

skimmer

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by mralanjones, Feb 19, 2009.

1. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i got my skimmer today. i had already bought it on ebay before I asked you guys about it, oops.  I have a red sea prizm pro. it is loud. are all of them loud. if not can you tell me what to do so it is not loud

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh damn....put that thing back on ebay. I never had one of those myself, but I haven't heard anything good about them either.

I use a coralife one, not the best but it gets the job done for an inexpensive price. Seaclone is somewhere towards the cheap side, but I haven't heard all that great stuff either about them.

If you want a really good one way cheaper than merchant price, B-Rad does acrylic work and made his own stuff as long as some other stuff for few other members. He made JB's Calcium Reactor that the progress of pics are in the forum here somewhere. I think he's making Glaspie something now, he helped me with my sump, and there's pics of a 6ft tall skimmer he made somewhere too. He needs to post his stuff in the photo gallery because they are pretty sweet.

3. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was looking at the corallife. Is this a good skimmer. and idaes would be appropriated.

4. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just to let everybody know. I put the piece of junk(red sea pro skimmer) back on ebay. I bought it for 85 and sold it now for 100. I think i am going to get a supper skimmer with that money.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mralanjones how big is your tank?

What do you plan on keeping in the tank, fish, corals?

Here is some advise, (next to lots of live rock,) skimmers are one of the most important parts of your filtration system.

There are hundreds out there to choose from, with prices from $60 to $16,000. So do your self a favor and do your home work don't skimp on your skimmer, You get what you pay for!!!!!
    Pic out a few that are in your price range and we can help you sort out the features that will work best for your tank...
    Hope this gets you in the right direction.
    -Rick-  

6. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i went to the pet's playhouse today to pick up the supper skimmer. they recommended the cbr bak pak skimmer. I didn't take enough cash so I am going to wait. but it sounded good. I did get a dwarf lion fish, chocolate chip starfish and 3 snails to add to my gold striped grouper. to answer b-rad's question. i am going to do just fish for right now. I am new to the hobby and want to start off slow and build my way up to corals. I have a 55 gallon tank with about 30lbs of fiji and 20 lbs of florida base rock. a fluval 404 canister filter, 2 hydor korila 2 powerheads.