1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Skimmer selection help needed as well.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by got2lb, Jan 10, 2008.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I copy and pasted this out of my other thread but here's the low down on the tank I'm planning on setting up.  I was really liking the reviews I heard on the ATI bubblemaster skimmers and was thinking about going with the 200 but they seem to be having issues getting things shipped overseas.
    In sump or external is fine with me either way.

Not 100% sure
    on the tank yet. It will either be a 50 gal. breeder 36x18x18 or it
    will be a custom made tank that's 36x24x20" tall. The price of the
    custom tank is all that's really holding me back. I plan on having a
    pretty big sump setup. This is kind of what I was planning on as of
    right now.
    1. Water will overflow from the tank and go to the basement

2. water will enter a 29 gal tank with a filter sock on it. Tthis tank
    will also have a hole drilled in the bottom of it with a ball valve and
    will serve as my water change tank. Just turn the ballvalve to empty
    and fill back up.
    3. after the 29 gal tank the water will
    flow into another tank (not sure what size yet, prob. either a 75 gal.
    or 125 depending on what I can find at the time) where the first
    chamber will hold the skimmer.

4. after the skimmer chamber it will flow into the refugium portion of
    the sump, I want this to be as large as possible. I plan on having
    cheato in it as well as mangroves
    5. then back to the return area where there will be an auto top off of some kind.

6. After things start growing out I also plan on hooking up a 50 gal.
    stock tank for a frag tank similar to what waverz has setup.

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So you're looking at ~200 gallons max?  There has been a flood of new skimmers on the market in the past 6 months or so.  I haven't kept up much with the BM skimmers lately.  Do they still skim really wet?  I think that was the biggest complaints about them and everything else was pretty minor.
    I don't know what your budget is but the ATB skimmers have been getting pretty good reviews.  The KZ Revolution is another good one.  Allen has a BK 200 mini and I don't think he's impressed with it.  In fact, I think he's looking at getting something else.  The SWC Xtreme skimmers is still pretty new and the jury is still out on them. 
    Then there's always H&S and Deltec.  Gotta love skimmers, there's so many to choose from! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif  Oh, you could also go with an Octo.  Those seem to be doing well over time.

3. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Might want to look at the Trigger systems skimmers....I have one and it is great...it is external though if that matters

Here is a link... http://www.triggersys.com/protein_skimmers.html
    I have the TS300 but for your system you could go with the TS150. I know PA carries them.
    Quality is incredible!

One of the great things about these are that they cam be completely disassembled for cleaning....I cam tear mine down, clean it and have it back together in 20 minutes.

eins

4. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 01/11/2008 8:59 AM
    So you're looking at ~200 gallons max?  There has been a flood of new skimmers on the market in the past 6 months or so.  I haven't kept up much with the BM skimmers lately.  Do they still skim really wet?  I think that was the biggest complaints about them and everything else was pretty minor.
    I don't know what your budget is but the ATB skimmers have been getting pretty good reviews.  The KZ Revolution is another good one.  Allen has a BK 200 mini and I don't think he's impressed with it.  In fact, I think he's looking at getting something else.  The SWC Xtreme skimmers is still pretty new and the jury is still out on them. 
    Then there's always H&S and Deltec.  Gotta love skimmers, there's so many to choose from! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align="absmiddle" border="0">  Oh, you could also go with an Octo.  Those seem to be doing well over time.
    I think you're just trying to confuse the hell out of me aren't you! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif" align="absmiddle" border="0">
    One of the things I've heard about the BM is if you don't have a heavy bioload then not to oversize your skimmer otherwise you have to skim really wet in order to get it to skim at all.  http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/Protein_Skimmers/ATI_Bubble_Master/Bubble_Master_200_Protein_Skimmer_by_ATI
    I was looking at the SWC Xtreme skimmers seeing as they use the same sicci pumps as the BM do.  Kinda waiting to hear how people are liking them first.   http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Skimmers/c22_48/p133/MSX250/product_info.html
    Also was looking at the DAS EX-2.   http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=74
    I would really like to stay under the $500 range if possible (noticed that the price of the BM 200 has gone up now)
    Internal or External doesn't really matter to me.

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 01/11/2008 9:43 AM
    Might want to look at the Trigger systems skimmers....I have one and it is great...it is external though if that matters

Here is a link... http://www.triggersys.com/protein_skimmers.html
    I have the TS300 but for your system you could go with the TS150. I know PA carries them.
    Quality is incredible!

One of the great things about these are that they cam be completely disassembled for cleaning....I cam tear mine down, clean it and have it back together in 20 minutes.

eins
    Look like nice skimmers as well!  I don't have a lot of experience with the beckett skimmers though.  What pump are you running with yours? Are they hard to adjust and keep skimming good?  There's not much price difference between the 150, 300, and the 500.  I could prob. swing the 500 depending on the pump needed to run it.

6. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would get a pressure rated pump as the performance with beckets is much better...I have a sequence Wahoo on mine but that is overkill for the 300.
    something that is around 1200GPH pressure rated would work great on the 150 or 300.
    The 500 you might want to go to 1500gph.

As for Becketts...they take a tweek now and then ...no big deal to me.

A number of the QC members have seen mine in person, maybe one of them will chime in on what they though of it...
    There are a lot of good skimmers out there...I just thought these are a great deal price vs quality wise.

Sequence pumps are AWESOME they are super quiet very powerful and have a 3 year warranty even on the seals.

eins

7. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's one thing I didn't really like about the beckett skimmers was the $300 pump to run them. OUCH. Plus the fact that the wahoo you're running pulls 265 watts.

If I remember right the Sicce pumps only pull like 23 watts a piece or something like that?

8. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey Eins have you ever run a needlewheel skimmer? Just kind of curious how you would compare the two and which one you actually prefer over the other.

9. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Never have run one...its all in how you tune any skimmer...I have a modded beckett in mine and that increased its performance by 20% - 25% or so.

I am sure if a needlewheel is not tuned properly it wont perform well, as is true for any skimmer. Everytime I have seen a Deltec running, I was not impressed, especially for what they charge for them. If you have one and its set up right i'm sure it will perform well.

I just hate all the posts online that show some pic of a skimmer cup coated with thick sludge and the skimate looks like tar and the owner is saying that is 2 hours worth of skimming...lol. Then all of the following posts are everyone bowing to the new skimmer God that miraculously pulled all of that out of some tank...that just tells me they have a really dirty tank/water. I guarantee that same skimmer could not pull that kind of stuff from my tank/water. Bottom line is to get something that is good quality easy to maintain and a brand you can get service/parts for. You are an experienced reefkeeper and whatever one you choose will do a good job, I am sure of that as your water wont be that bad to begin with.

eins

10. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I totally understand what you're saying. I've just never used a beckett skimmer before or for that matter even seen one running. I have heard that once you get them dialed in they'll pretty much outskim anything. The only negatives on see on that behalf are the $300 pump to run it and the energy consumption that they pull.

I have a quite a while before I'll be buying one anyway was just curious on what everyones opinions were on them.

11. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    This may be an option as well. 
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1290142

12. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check out the new "pro series" , I believe it is coming out in Feb.,, I suppose they are trying to keep up with the SWC extreme skimmer.. By the way it is a Octopus
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1290142&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

13. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    You could always buy mine when I'm ready to upgrade

14. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i wish i could give a good opinion on a skimmer by owning a few different brands but i cant, but i can give you a pic how octopus skimmers skim.

my tank doesnt have much of a load on it, i wish it did so i could see some really gross stuff being skimmed, but here a collection cup pic i just took.

[​IMG]

15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 01/16/2008 5:08 PM
    Check out the new "pro series" , I believe it is coming out in Feb.,, I suppose they are trying to keep up with the SWC extreme skimmer.. By the way it is a Octopus
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1290142&perpage=25&pagenumber=2
    That's the same thread I posted right above yours! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif  GOOD IDEA THOUGH! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/hehe.gif

16. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 01/16/2008 6:11 PM
    You could always buy mine when I'm ready to upgrade
    That may be a possibility, I think I may end up with something a little bigger though that way I don't have to upgrade in the future.

17. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry about that. Have you been keeping up to date on that thread. It sounds like it's gonna cost 500.00
    Do you still have connections to get skimmers?

18. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 01/18/2008 6:59 PM
    Sorry about that. Have you been keeping up to date on that thread. It sounds like it's gonna cost 500.00
    Do you still have connections to get skimmers? I haven't been following the last couple days I'll have to read up on it when I get some time.
    And I may still have a few connections!   /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

19. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't found anything on the MSX 250 it has 2 Sicce pumps, but i would like to know what this is rated at.
    If the dual recirc 150 Octo is rated for 300 gallons this thing should be rated at least that. It looks like a monster. Let me know what you find.