1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Site Maintenance Notice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Sep 9, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just an FYI to everyone:  At some point in the very near future, I'm going to be applying some updates to our website that will require me to take the site offline.   When I do this, the site may be down for 3 or 4 hours.
    I'm not sure when I'm going to do this, but it may be as early as tonight or as late as sometime next week.
    So...  Don't be surprised if you see the upgrade in progress message.
    -JB

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up JB...and as always, thanks for volunteering your time to maintain the site. A lot of people don't understand how much work you actually put into it. Thank you!

--AJ

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    are you making it available on mobile devices /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif haha j/k jb i know thts a whole different barrel of monkeys

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks JB! you rock

5. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    JB, you or one of the other admins should pin this topic so it remains at the top until after the maintance has been completed.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's pinned.

I'll be taking the site down later this evening to do the first phase of the upgrades. Due to the amount of downloading and uploading involved, the site may be offlne for a couple of hours.

This should be the only phase that required downtime.

-JB

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Phase 1 of the updates are complete. There were a few hicups, but it went OK. You may notice that the chat rooms list is missing from the home page. There is a minor error with that module, but the chat rooms are still available from the main menu. I have a support request in so hopefully this will get resolved quickly. Other than that, there should be no visible changes to the way the site works.

The next rounds of updates (hopefully coming in the next few days) will have some very noticeable enhancements that I think everyone will appreciate.

-JB

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It keeps coming up that I have a new message in my inbox now but there isnt any.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check under notifications.  You may have a new notification.
    --AJ

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Craig,
    This is a bug that I've already reported and will hopefully be fixed in the updated that should be here any day now (along with some serious other improvements to the PM system).
    You'll notice at the bottom of the page that you can page through your PM's now.   You may have a new message that's not showing up on the first page.
    -JB

11. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was going to send a PM today and went into my friends list and found that they are all gone. Did something happen to that.

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same here.

--AJ

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I did the second phase of our upgrade last night and due to the crappy performance of our cheap web hosting service, it didn't go very smoothly. I sure wish we could afford a decent web host...

There are still a few issues that I'm going to try and work through tonight and I'll add the missing friends to the list.

On a positive note, you may find that sending PM to people from the Message Center is MUCH easier now.

-JB

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Friends should be working again now...

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks JB!

--AJ

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    JB, if we come out in the green on Fall Fest why don't we get some better hosting. You work hard enough on this site for free, the club could at least pay for a better host to make it easier for you.

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'd love that. The problem is it would raise our hosting costs from $120 a year to $600 a year.

A decent shared web host starts at $50 a month. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

-JB

18. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Heck JB for less than that you can get a virtual server! I have two and they are great.

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I was presented with an even better solution today. I'll post about it in the BOD forum.