1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Notice Site Downtime Thread

Discussion in 'Website Items, Issues & Feedback' started by Bud, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    This is a running thread for notification of when I will need to perform site maintenance. When I have to do so I'll just update this first post and then bump the thread.

UPDATED 07/31/17

I've got a few addons that need updating so I will need to take the forum offline for a quick backup before and after, it shouldn't be very long

Going to run these probably late tonight or early tomorrow AM

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    I use tap talk and lost the like button. Mybe you can stear me in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    Yep, that's a known issue and there is a bug fix, just haven't had time to implement it yet. Will try to get to that today, it's a temporary patch until the Tapatalk folks work out the code issue with the Post Ratings addon (which gives you additional options when looking at it on browser)

Have you tried the mobile browser version? It works quite well. But I know the convenience of Tapatalk. Personally I only keep it around for the push notifications, I only use the app for vBulletin sites since their mobile sucks

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
  5. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 1 / -0
    How do you get to conversations now on the normal website? I don't see the conversations or alerts tabs.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    Are you not seeing this in the upper right? Scroll all the way to the top

Convo.JPG

The "sticky" nav bar was causing issues with scroll position on picture-heavy threads, I disabled that a few weeks ago to see if the issue was remedied, which it was, in most cases. I am leaving it off for a bit longer until I figure out exactly what situations seem to cause it to cause an errant page landing.

What was happening was when you clicked a link for a new post, if the page of the thread you were on had a bunch of pictures, it wouldn't "land" you at the first unread post, but rather it "shifted" the landing point up the page in proportion to the size/height of the pictures in the posts above it

7. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 1 / -0
    Nope I'm not seeing anything up there.

girs.jpg

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    Ok - looks like a screen width thing, when you shrink the window down the responsive design removes elements, the visitor panel is getting removed - I'll look into it - good catch!

9. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 1 / -0
    Oh weird, you're right.. if I shrink my screen down really narrow it pops up or if I extend it out wide onto my second display it appears. But full screen on a 1680x1050 resolution it doesn't show up.

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    That's the point where the site switches to the mobile style layout. The mobile style layout is not dependent on the device you are on, you can shrink it down on a PC and it automatically switches over to that style.

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    you can even see the mobile menu when you shrink it down enough (the nav bar changes to "Menu" and a "..." icon for new posts)

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    @Actuary@Actuary the main issue is fixed. There is still a bit of goofyness with the nav bar as you change width so I've got the style developer looking at it

• Like Like x 1
  13. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 1 / -0
    Much better!

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    Alrighty, I wasn't sure exactly how long it would take for DNS to be stable enough to FTP to the correct server, but that was OK this AM so I went ahead and did a few board updates (core software, media gallery addon, style update)

There could possibly be a few bugs and glitches with the style, like things not showing up where they should, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Please report ANYTHING out of the ordinary

Other than that...

FINALLY GODADDY FREE!!!!!

...and I can't tell you how happy I am about that.

1) FTP uploads are 3x as fast
    2) running addon and core updates take at most 1/2 the time
    3) posting, editing, etc - all noticably faster (at least on my end)
    4) email actually works (though I do have a few tweaks in the queue, notably, reverse DNS)

On that last one, we have stopped using Pepipost, which was a 3rd party e-mail handler (which was needed because GoDaddy's email system throws all their customers into one big queue, and there's no individual control over settings, so everything was slow and went to junk all the time). Pepipost was actually pretty good, but there were (are) glitches and I was tired of chasing them. For instance, apple emails (mac.com, me.com, icloud.com) were all blocking the emails routed through Pepipost's delivery servers. So if you're one of the ~20 users that use apple-based email on GIRS, you haven't been getting anything for a while.

That's an Apple thing by the way, their junk/spam filter does not allow users to "whitelist" anyone, and instead of notifying you when something is blocked (and why), they just delete it...you have no control. This is why I do not recommend using any apple email address for forums.

Thanks
    Bud

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    Updated the 1st post, have to run a few updates this evening or early tomorrow morning

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,475 / 14 / -0
    I didn't get to this, last night got busy and had to drop car off this AM...you'll know when it happens ;)