1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Notice Site Downtime Thread

Discussion in 'Website Items, Issues & Feedback' started by Bud, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    This is a running thread for notification of when I will need to perform site maintenance. When I have to do so I'll just update this first post and then bump the thread.

UPDATED 01/21/2018

I need to take a backup of the site to test out a few addons, so I will need to take the forum offline for a quick backup, it shouldn't take very long

This will be happening around 10am today

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Alrighty, I wasn't sure exactly how long it would take for DNS to be stable enough to FTP to the correct server, but that was OK this AM so I went ahead and did a few board updates (core software, media gallery addon, style update)

There could possibly be a few bugs and glitches with the style, like things not showing up where they should, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Please report ANYTHING out of the ordinary

Other than that...

FINALLY GODADDY FREE!!!!!

...and I can't tell you how happy I am about that.

1) FTP uploads are 3x as fast
    2) running addon and core updates take at most 1/2 the time
    3) posting, editing, etc - all noticably faster (at least on my end)
    4) email actually works (though I do have a few tweaks in the queue, notably, reverse DNS)

On that last one, we have stopped using Pepipost, which was a 3rd party e-mail handler (which was needed because GoDaddy's email system throws all their customers into one big queue, and there's no individual control over settings, so everything was slow and went to junk all the time). Pepipost was actually pretty good, but there were (are) glitches and I was tired of chasing them. For instance, apple emails (mac.com, me.com, icloud.com) were all blocking the emails routed through Pepipost's delivery servers. So if you're one of the ~20 users that use apple-based email on GIRS, you haven't been getting anything for a while.

That's an Apple thing by the way, their junk/spam filter does not allow users to "whitelist" anyone, and instead of notifying you when something is blocked (and why), they just delete it...you have no control. This is why I do not recommend using any apple email address for forums.

Thanks
    Bud

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Taking a backup at around 10am today, site will be down for ~15 minutes

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Back online, thanks