1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

siphon break help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, May 28, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am having a brain cramp & cant remember how to put a siphon break in my return line.  The return empties into my tank about 2 inches below the water level.  I dont want to drain that much water back into my sump in case of a power failure so I need to figure out how to put in a siphon break.
    Thx
    Craig

2. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    cut it off 1" below the water line or use a check valve

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What I did is drill two holes just above the water line. As soon as the water drops below this (I have a nano it is maybe 1/4 inch under the water level) it breaks the siphon. Hope that helps :)

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ditto, just keep the holes open and clean, lol so the siphon will break when the power goes out (I found out mine were covered in algae, so had to clean them asap during the last power outage). /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blush.gif

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ditto on the holes, only problem with that though is if you have a big return pump, it could cause water to spray from the holes. So make sure if you do put holes in your return they shoot downward.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    thx,

I was actually going to T my return line & put a couple of flex tubes to change up the flow a little more. I dont know if the mag 9.5 can put out any pressure out of those or not to mae a difference.

Thx
    Craig

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm considering the same thing. I don't think the pressure is going to be an issue for you, just that you would get less flow out of each individual tube output.

--AJ