1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Single frag doughnuts from thefilterguys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slovan, Nov 9, 2007.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    MMMMmmmm.......donuts.....

I haven't tried those, but that 50 pack of frag disks for 20 bucks looks like a good deal.

3. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like using those disks for frags I sell.  However, I think the doughnuts would integrate into the rockwork in my tank better than a flat disk that is a perfect circle.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seems like a good idea, but I tend to keep frags as frags and anything that goes on rockwork is either a plugless chunk of a coral I receive or a frag off of the frag plug.

When your sps frag grows into a big colony (mine don't, but I know yours do Sone!) and is fighting its weight and ridiculous current inside your tank, aren't you going to have to fasten it down somehow anyway? Good for growout, I'm thinking maybe not so much for a permanent fixture in one's tank.

5. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 11/09/2007 4:07 PM
    Seems like a good idea, but I tend to keep frags as frags and anything that goes on rockwork is either a plugless chunk of a coral I receive or a frag off of the frag plug.
    When your sps frag grows into a big colony (mine don't, but I know yours do Sone!) and is fighting its weight and ridiculous current inside your tank, aren't you going to have to fasten it down somehow anyway? Good for growout, I'm thinking maybe not so much for a permanent fixture in one's tank.
    Ha!  Mine doesn't always make it to the colony stages either. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif 
    Seriously though, you could use a little putty and I think it would stick to the rockwork.  The other reason why I like these plugs is that the coral will have room to grow out on them.  Say if I had a sunset monti on my rockwork, I wouldn't want to pull the entire rock out of my tank just to cut a frag off of it.  If I had a doughnut to mount it on, I could pull the doughnut off the rock and cut off part of the doughnut and put the coral back in without disturbing the rockwork.
    Anyway I ordered a pack so I'll keep you posted on them.

6. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sone

I have had really good luck with these, I like them for the same reasons you mentioned.

He also donated some of his products to the club earlier in the year, we gave them out at the QC pizza party.
    http://www.oceanswondersonline.com/catalog/item/4221106/4119538.htm

7. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback, Billy. I'm anxious to try them out now that I've heard you've had success with them. The ones from oceanswondersonline look pretty good and it's also a lot cheaper. I might have to give those a try also.

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oceanwonders is also local. Did they make it to the swap? Anyone know what we need to do to get the hyper links to work? I know I can cut and paste, but I am lazy... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I got the doughnuts in today and here are my initial thoughts.  They look a lot better than the regular disks and they're the same size.  I also like the fact that the frag plugs drop perfectly into the frag doughnuts.  Now I just need to get about 20 more so I can mount my other corals. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Someone is making a lot of money off of us reefkeepers.....

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They are but I don't have the time or equipment to make my own.

12. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me know how they work out? They kinda look like formed epoxy plumbers putty. My micros hate it and still will not encrust. Hopefully these doughnuts work out.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i once used this clay stuff that you bake to make discs (made them way to small) - those mounts look like the clay i used.

are they heavy? light? im just curious... i thought about buying some the first time i made it to their site.

14. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They're made out of ceramic, just like the frag plugs sold on their site. They also have a little bit of weight to them considering how small they are. These shouldn't be any different from the frag plugs and I'm assuming corals will encrust onto it just fine. I'll let you guys know if it doesn't.

15. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we should plan a rock and plug making party for next spring... Just a thought.

16. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya man cuse the last rock makin' party got cancled.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ooo... a rock an plug making thing would be freakin awesome.

i vote yes on that.