1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sigh-No! Sump...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    for those who knew and tried to help me with the cyno probablem we had. It looks like its about gone.. a few patches here and there but they are very small..
    im pretty happy about that..
    not there are a few patches of green. anyone happen to know what this could be? its mostly on the sand- there isnt much though... there are a few spots on some rocks but i dont think its anything major.
    thanks!
    oh also, my first crack at silicone was a success, just so happens i waited so long too much water evaporated from my previous sump water and well... now i need to get more before i can get it runnin! but its holdin up.
    i didnt put in a DSB in the tank so far, there is only about an inch or maybe an inch in a half. i just didnt have enough water to wash the sand off and i dont want to put dirty sand in and start a cycle of doom. soooo, im thinkin i will wait till i get more water and then add another 4 and a half inches of sand... could be a treat...
    curious if you guys put rubble in on the side where the water comes in to help with the bubbles? i've read about doing that a few places. i dont have any rubble though, i was hoping i could score some from someone. i am going to post another request for some on RC and here... but if you happen to see this one and have extra rubble, let me know! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rubble works well from what I have read....

I use a filter sock to eliminate bubbles....

eins

3. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ben

As I mentioned in my pm the other night, you really need to slow down and get your tank going the way you want it before you put much life into it. Making major changes like you are making is going to cause you a cycle, and likely losses of life, every time you make one. You should grab one of your local guys like Jeremy or Jason and ask them to help you get your tank to what it should be before you add much more of anything too it.
    The different cycles you are seeing, i.e. cyano and now likely green hair algae, are part of a tank estabishing itself. Most tanks run a gauntlet of headaches before they are truly mature. If I am not mistaken your tank is only a couple months old at this point and any change in bioload is going to make it go nuts. On new tanks that I set up totally from scratch I do not add anything but a little live rock for the first few months. I then start with a couple fish such chromis and slowly build from there.
    I am not trying to be critical, but as communicated the other night, if you try to move too fast the hobby will bite you in the *** causing you to loose interest early on.
    Billy

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know we should go slower. im just trying to set the sump up now though, if it goes through another cycle well, ill deal with it. I really dont think anyone on here would want to buy our stuff so we can start over again.

im just adding some sand and rock to the sump. the dt is the same.

so, do you think i should just not hook the sump up or what? im probably going to because, well..everyone else thinks i should as far as i know. i do ask people stuff before i do it usually but, this being our first tank... mistakes will be made. our next tank will be set up "correctly "...

i think it is hair algea. im just going with the flow and letting it do its thing. i check stuff to make sure its ok and it is, i think i just feed slightly too much.

thank you guys for responses.

5. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you should add the sump, it will add system capacity, plus it will allow you add a refugium (which you should run on an opposite lighting cycle) which will help with nutrient export as well as stabilize ph with the reverse cycle.
    What I am talking about it making big changes after you have put in livestock. The tank needs to stabilize at some point, if you make change after change it makes it tough on the livestock and you. I would just slow down a little. Concentrate on the things you need, RODI, good water flow, lighting, auto top off, etc. Spend your money there, not on livestock. You have some really good guys loca that will help with the livestock.
    I will say that I am speaking from experience on this, like most people I got in the hobby excited and gung ho, I fought my tank tooth and nail for a long time beofre I realized I needed to slow down and get things in line.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i agree with all those things. i think i took it wrong. im assuming the comments were directed more towards our other convos and not so much this specific topic.

we are done with livestock besides snails which we dont have enough of... they are expensive locally

after the sump is hooked up the next purchase for this tank will be an rodi unit, i think we have enough flow i just dont know how to set it up... i think it might be the placement of corals that is bad, it makes it harder to point the power heads in various directions ya know... got xenia flying all over if everything isnt just right. we have 3 maxi 900s in a 55.. i thought that would be good but if its not, someone let me know what you think, or if you have a diagram of how the power heads should be set up let me know.

i do understand what you are saying now though, so dont think i missed the point. i appreciate it!

now if you could just send me those top off plans... hahahaha.

thanks alot!
    -ben

7. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ben
    Wasn't sure what you had decided on the float switch, didn't want to spend the time looking up the parts if you did not want one.
    I will find the parts, draw the schematic, and get it to you.
    If you don't think you can do it, you might go to www.aquahub.com and purchase one of their systems, they are pretty fair price wise.
    Billy

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If the green algae you are talking about looks like grass you are seeing green hair algae. I am guessing though that you are seeing just a green version of the red algae you had previously. Cyano bacteria is very common in both red and green. It will be the slimey sheet looking stuff. That just means your tank is still balancing. With a new tank or quick additions leading to cycling you will commonly see cyano, hair, bubble, and diatoms cycle through your tank in no particular order. They all thrive on different nutrients that are common in new tanks.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking its just a little bit of hair algae ...

things seem to be going away rapidly but i thinking i might have a little diatom bloom going on....

its kind of weird - all the algae has just been in spots... some on certain parts of sand others on rocks.. all of them kinda go to the back glass for a little bit but dont stay long.

now - if i could get the u tube siphon working! i tried it today and i couldnt get it to work!

10. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    water covering both ends and suck the air bubble out by inserting airline up into the tube.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i did that but for some reason the water connects on the sides and not in the middle. quite annoying! i dont like mouth fulls of saltwater. perhaps tomorrow. perhaps.

however i did get a dsb in the sump today, im pretty sure its about 5 inches... i dont have a ruler on hand though so im just eye ballin it.

12. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No need for rulers in this hobby... You do need to get every bubble out of there though. Usually the last small bubble will be kicked out when you run the pump, but if not it will reduce your overflow volume.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its not running now because i cant get the middle to connect at all... i might try again later today but im not sure i want to taste all that yummy ness again so soon.

14. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By heartben on 11/12/2007 10:11 AM
    its not running now because i cant get the middle to connect at all... i might try again later today but im not sure i want to taste all that yummy ness again so soon.
    Can you post a picture of what you U tube and overflow looks like?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i can but it wont be until 8 or 9... maybe i can squeeze it in real quick... at least the u tube... the other part is standard inner box w/ teeth and outer box is a bit lower with return...

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, did post a picture but someone else had a similar u tube and they suggested something last night (thanks ryan)

so today i tried it... and the sump is officially going
    finally... good god.

i didnt/ dont know much about it so it did take a bit of tweeking before i could get it to stop "gurgling" and keep the levels straight.. still not 100 percent sure its right but its going strong and i havent seen any noticeable fluctuations?

i have 2 returns. right now i just have them pointed kind of up... any suggestions as to the best placement?

thank you everyone!