1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Share a Hare

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by jeffmr4, May 21, 2020.

1. I recently purchased a Sea Hare from Aquarium Reefers in California. It has dutifully eaten all the algae in my tank and I wanted to make it an Iowa Reef Society Hare so that it can be shared by members in this area (and possibly outside).

I have contacted Jeanette about this but haven't received any reply so I am going ahead with it.

After it ate all the algae in my tank (in two days..) my peppermint shrimp was picking on it and it has slowed down. I think it will be ok but it may take a little while to recover.

If anyone would like to use the Hare feel free to post below or send me a message.

It is probably a good idea to post here so we know who the last person was who had it.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. Tolkein6

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello...will it eat GHA and does it eat soft corals? If so I would like to try it.

Thx
    Mark

3. Hi Mark. It specializes in green hair algae and it doesn't touch corals. It will eat algae that is on corals. They are very benign so the only problem you would have is if something bothered it. I'll pm you.

4. Kandi New User

Anamosa, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I would be interested! I have a small biocube but am battling hair algae.

5. Unfortunately last night either my peppermint shrimp picked on it or it died some other way.

6. Kandi New User

Anamosa, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So sad for you! On another note, if you ever need to borrow a file fish - I have one. It cleaned up aptasia like nothing else!

7. Thanks Kandi.

8. Its been a while since I've had algae in my tank but now I have some so I bought another Hare. This time without any invertebrates to bother it (exit peppermint shrimp and emerald crab). This Hare is from Reefs4Less.com and I've had for about two weeks. It hasn't eaten as much algae as the first one but it may just be getting started. It has eaten all of mine in about two weeks and I'm glad to pass it along to someone if they are interested in giving it a try. Its about 3 to 4 inches and it won't bother anything in the aquarium. Let me know if you are interested!

Jeff

9. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Pm'd

10. Elliot (erayk1) currently has the Hare. If he passes it along please post that you have it here. Thanks!

11. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
  12. Apparently Elliot's hermits had their way with the hare and it is no longer. :cry:

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List