1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Setting up new tank and transfering livestock???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok gang so heres the deal... I want to set up a bigger tank (imagine that) but I want  to put it in the same place my 58g is right now. How would a guy go about doing that without tearing down the current tank completely? Is there a way to put livestock in a holding tank or in a rubbermaid for a day or two so I can tear down and fill new tank?
    If I used all live rock and sand and what water is in there and put in new tank plus 50g new water would the tank need to cycle agian? Ill be using most of the same equipment other than new tank, stand and sump.
    Any suggestions? I really dont want to lose anything but Im growing out of this tank quick! I want to do a 110-120 rimless cube. Ive found a few tanks I could use, including a 150 marineland tank that is still 36" long but its deeper and taller so I can still use my new lights I just spent a dumb amount of money on and all other equipment. 

All suggestions are welcome. I want to buy a tank right away but wont do this if I will lose alot of stuff.

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Rubbermaid's with heaters and small powerheads is all you really need, just make sure they are clean and are free from contamination.

Try and save ALL your water to minimize the cycle.

As far as the sand, man I hate sand, especially if you are going to be moving it. More than likely it will cause some problems as far as re cycling goes, if it doesn't smell like a sulfur pit you should only have a minimal cycle, but be careful with that stuff, if it were me, I would go to Regal Plastics and pick up a sheet of Starboard/Cutting board.

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you do with that (noob question LOL)

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Put it down on the bottom of the tank instead of using sand, therefore maintaining much cleaner water as well as not being limited on flow.

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there a benefit to this over putting nothing on the bottom at all?

6. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks cool. Still gives you the glowing white bottom like clean sand is suppose to look. After a while will cover in coraline and look sweet too. I think im going to go that route actually. I like the way yours looks jeremy and ive thought of going bare bottom so Im going to try this.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Not only that but it protects the glass from falling rocks....

8. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would wait until you can get the tank you really want. Otherwise you will be upgrading and then upgrading again. If you do transfer, do what Jeremy says and clean out the containers really well. Otherwise you are at risk of contaminating your water.

9. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have to do the same thing but my new tank will be about 5 feet from where the one thats currently up, so im just going to pump all the water from one to the other and have the new sump cycling for a while and try to get the parameters to mach as much as i can before i get it all switched so i dont have to much of a shock.

10. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just transfered everything to a 90 last month. I put only about 40 gallons of the old water in over night circulating so when I transfered the livestock over it was like a big water change.