1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Setting up a frag tank-what do I need?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Sep 30, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I have a 10g tank set up as a frag tank with a heater, small powerhead and 64 watts of pc lights.  There is a fan inside the light compartment for cooling..........is there anything else I'm missing?  Should I get a small skimmer?  As far as I know, corals really don't produce any waste, right?

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Is it going to be a self contained system, or will it be fed from the display tank?

I would recomend hooking it into your display if at all possible, it would be really easy to do with a tank that small.

Remember coral need fish poo to grow. If you can hook it into your main system a power head & light would be all you need.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nope it's a stand alone tank......... from what I've read, a HOB filter will be ok short term, but a skimmer is best long term. Basically, it will need what a regular tank would need, is that correct? If there's no fish, then do I just supplement with something?

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A smaller tank like that will be subject to parameter swings and temp swings.

You will need to stay on top of it as parameter and temp swings can cause browning in some corals.

small (5%) weekly water changes with a good reef salt should give you the trace elements needed. Dont dose anything you cant test for...

eins

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest a HOB filter with carbon and possibly a phosphate remover in the media chamber. You can also run a biowheel until the tank cycles. Corals do produce waste, just not as noticable as fish. Corals also produce toxic chemicals and that is why I suggest the carbon. As for the skimmer, my personal belief is that it will be a waste of money for you. I would just do frequent water changes to keep up with waste removal and water parameters. That way there is no need for a skimmer or dosing.

6. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    64 watts of pc is going to grow softies well, but nothing else. I had a BC 14 with 72 watts of pc, the zoa's and kenya tree grew like crazy, but my lps just maintained.

7. saltwater2003

saltwater2003 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a 55 gallon frag tank i run 2x175 watt 10ks xms on it and one 400 watt 10k xm = 750 watts and i run 4 96 watt pc on my 90 gallon with 2x250 watt 20k xms =884 i have a cheep skimmer you can have if u want it for a 10 gal i would do at least a 20 - 30 gal frag tank