1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

[Sep 16, 2017] DIY Food Meeting (Bondurant, IA)

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by beckerj3, Jul 27, 2017.

Best date for a DIY Food meeting? Time of day = morning

Poll closed Aug 13, 2017.
  1. Saturday September 9th

58.3%
  2. Saturday September 16th

66.7%
  3. Saturday September 23rd

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
DIY Food Meeting
Posted By Bud

Zoobie's House
501 4th St SE, Bondurant, IA 50035, USA
Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:00 AM
(ends Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:00 PM)
Timezone: America/Chicago

Upcoming Occurrences

All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Chicago

Linked Occurence:
Start: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:00 AM
End: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:00 PM
Upcoming Occurrences:
This event does not have any/other upcoming occurrences...
  1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Des Moines Area DIY Food Meeting
    So who's interested in a DIY food meeting/event??????

I'm thinking a Saturday in early September. I volunteer to help organize it - but need the following help.

1) Does someone have a location (garage, ......) they they will volunteer to be the 'host' of the event.
    2) Bud - @Bud@Bud - If I do all the posting and counting to get a bag count - can you use your handy, dandy calculator for quantities to order what's needed?
    3) I will pick up the local food ingredients or find someone to assist me with that.

Please post here if you are interested. If there is enough interest expressed, I will create a poll to select the date and get the ball rolling.

@Region: Des Moines & Ames

************* Updated information ******************
    Date selected: September 16th, 9 AM

List of people/bags/attending
    Dave - 6 bags? - no
    Barrett - 2 bags - Yes
    Maureen - 4 bags - Yes
    Tim30 - 3 bags - Yes
    Chris/Fence - 6 bags - yes
    JTDangerJ - 2+ bags - yes
    Terri/Sponge - ? bags - yes
    Forst Dodger - ? bags - ?
    Zach/Zoobie - 0 bags - yes
    Jeanette/beckerj3 - 4 bags - yes
    Bud - a few bags - ??

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Can do!

There are really no local ingredients that are needed, I get everything from Great Midwest Seafood and Premium Aquatics, the bags from McMaster Carr, the only local ingredient that is (optionally) needed is squid from Double Dragon (just because we have it here)

We need to get the kit back from CR - @blackx-runner@blackx-runner do you have that?

I believe this time we should do what we discussed within the Leadership Team, which is have everyone pre-pay for their bags. We discussed doing this to prevent what happened at one of the events where there was a big $ shortage due to shipping cost...even though it's never been an issue in the DSM area due to strong participation, I think it should be the way we do it from now on.

Basically the idea was that no matter if you are helping or not, you pay for the "not present" bag price, and then if you are there and help you get refunded whatever amount it works out to so that the whole thing is break-even or close to it. So this will likely be $15/bag for "not present" and then depending on how many bags are made and how many people show up to help, the "present" bag price is likely to be $12, +/- a buck or so, in cash at the event.

It also eliminates having to have someone collect $ at the event or after the event, inevitably someone gets stuck with extra unpaid bags of food, etc...this solves a lot of little hassle-type issue.

@Zoobie@Zoobie!!!! His kitchen space is awesome for this!!

3. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I would be interested in a bag and depending on work schedule helping out so I can meet some local reefers.

4. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    I'm on board and ready to assist in any way!

5. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Should be able to help out if it is early September.

6. I'd be glad to buy a bag but I my schedule is pretty rough right now-- I don't know if I'll be able to attend but would be happy to do so if I can.

Since we are talking about bags, I assume this is not gel food?

If I can make it, I'd be happy to make a batch of gel food... which is really popular among GFSA breeders but I'm not sure if its caught on in the reefing community. Great for adding high-color nutrients! Would be fun to mix in some foods high in fluorophores or fluorescents such as vitamin A, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin... maybe really high in calcites for red fluorescence. The gelatin in the food holds all the nutrients together long enough to get eaten. Is this of interest to anyone?

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  8. NICE

I want some for sure and will try to be there

9. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I would be in for a few bags.

10. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have some questions about this

I personally use LRS reef frenzy and masstick that I get from 4 paws unleashed. How is this comparable to that?

Is there rules for everyone to thoroughly wash their hands and completely rinse them so there is no risk of contamination?

Is there any concern about the new FDA laws in regards to fish foods since they will be for sale and LRS, aquarium addictions, and Rods foods have to follow. I mentioned those since they are sponsors

How does this support our sponsors and or lfs do they get upset about it or do they not know?

Has anyone tested the food for phosphates and or other contaminants?

What if any probiotics or vitamins are put in the foods?

Is the algae sheets crumbled up or big pieces?

Happy Reefing

Peter

11. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Forgot one more question how long does it typically last (the making of it). I work some weekends in the afternoons

12. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    If I remember right you are allowed to attend one meeting for free. I am not sure if making fish food is one of the ones that non members can attend or if non members can buy fish food. If it is and because you are so interested you should attend the meeting and then you could learn first hand.

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    You can see the recipe that we generally follow on the link I posted

I know that I wash my hands several times during the process, gloves are supplied, etc. I can't say that I recall if everyone does, but it's a good point we'll emphasize

FDA regulations don't apply to this as we are not selling it outside the membership, like on store shelves or anything like that (confirmed this when I spoke with Larry)

I called Larry and Ryan and they didn't have any objection at all. I couldn't get a hold of Rod.

As far as stores go, obviously some would rather save some $ and make their own, some prefer the name brand, some mix it up (I do). This is meant to be a group event for fun and learning, getting together, etc. Its not really meant to provide every member in the club cheap food so they don't have to buy anywhere else, though some might use it for that purpose or see it that way. Some people have done their own batches outside of a club event for that purpose.

No but we use either ingredients purchased from reef suppliers or seafood suppliers (that sell to restaurants) and select ingredients that are free of preservatives to the best or our ability.

I'll refer you to the resource again for this, most everything is listed there.

Full sheets in the bag then after it soaks up moisture you massage the bag a bit (I made a video about this, I think it's on the resources, if not I'll add it)

Anywhere from 2-4 hours, depending on how organized it is and how many people help out

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    You can attend one event as a non-member (including this one) but you can't buy any food unless you are a member.

15. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I think I don't have anything going on just let me know as soon as possible the day you are thinking. Shouldn't be a problem though. I have clean room gloves at the house to eliminate the contamination issue mentioned above.

16. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    @Zoobie@Zoobie - thanks for offering to host.

I'll try to set up the survey for dates tomorrow. I'm thinking one of the 1st 3 Saturdays in September - on a Saturday morning - so as not to interfere too much with football games.

17. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Ya good idea. We can always put the Hawkeye game on while we finish. Go hawks. Hahahaha

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @beckerj3@beckerj3 you can just add a poll to this thread ;)

IMG_2954.jpg

19. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Does one need special privileges? I don't get all those 'thread' options. All that shows up for me is 'Edit' 'Move' 'Export' and 'Lock'

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    That's really weird, you should have that permission...trying to track this one down!