1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Seahorse safe corals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adampottebaum, Sep 1, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I have a couple corals I'm thinking about putting in my seahorse tank. Are Kenya tree and green starburst polyps seahorse safe? By save, I'm wondering if the sting of these corals will harm them. I already have a couple mushrooms, but I want to add more diversity. The kenya tree is getting large and the starburst I haven't had long but they have already grown quite significantly.
    Thanks for any help, and please feel free to list any other corals you think would work well. The lighting is pretty low so far, I'm probably going to have 3 pc blubs on the 35 gallon hex tank.
    Also, anyone have any cheap corals close to Cedar Falls they could sell for cheap that will be safe for them?
    Thanks, Adam

2. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I have seen Colony polyps work very well in a seahorse tank....   I have some of those for sale too....  hint, hint  :)
    Brian

3. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Haha, yea that's what got me thinking. If there's any way to remove a cluster of them I'll take some, I'm sure we can work something out since I'm going to be buying half your stuff already!

4. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    It was also partly due to that and the huge kenya tree I have in my reef tank that got me thinking. I got it off the rock and put it into the corner for now. I don't want my tank overcrowded with kenya tree and gsp like a bunch of people's I've seen. A friend gave me a little piece of the gsp a month or two ago and it's already quadrupled in size. I have a rock that's off to the side and not part of the central rockwork because my diamond goby made a cave under it, so I left it there for him. I put the gsp on that rock so that if it gets close to the other rocks I can peel it away some or move the rock before it spreads like wildfire.

I wouldn't mind it spreading in my seahorse tank, it would be great for pod reproduction!

5. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I am sure we can work something out   [​IMG]    I do have a couple of clusters that are attached to rocks that could work out well.  You will have to take a look and see if that would work for you.   Thanks again...
    Brian

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yup, cya tommorrow!

7. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Does pulsing xenia have a sting? I have some of that I got pulled off my rocks last week that's off to the side in the sand that I could put in there too. I'm gonna have that tank stocked(coral wise) in a matter of days!

8. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well I think I found what I'm looking for. http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates/tankmates.shtml

So far, I can put in my gsp, xenia, zoas, mushrooms, sun coral frag, kenya tree, and some of your daisy/clove polyps.

9. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well I think I found what I'm looking for. http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates/tankmates.shtml

So far, I can put in my gsp, xenia, zoas, mushrooms, sun coral frag, kenya tree, and some of your daisy/clove polyps. They all have a 0 level of risk!

10. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    They like sea fans.