1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Scott Aquarium at the Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha, NE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 1172, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My fiance, her family, and myself all went on a little trip to the Omaha Zoo. Figured I'd snap some pics of the aquarium and post them here. If you haven't been, you need to go! Every time I go, I swear I find something new in the aquarium. And almost every time, I tell myself to snag some pictures, but end up overwhelmed. These are crappy cell phone pictures that really don't do it justice. However, enjoy! If you have any pictures you've taken, feel free to post them here as well!

upload_2017-9-9_8-36-7.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-36-31.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-36-44.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-37-8.png

I do have to say, I'm a sucker for an awesome planted tank...

upload_2017-9-9_8-37-44.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-37-58.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-38-12.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-38-21.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-38-31.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-38-46.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-38-55.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-39-4.png

upload_2017-9-9_8-39-13.png

2. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

3. JS

Clutier, IA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I need to go down there. It's been nearly 15 years since I've been there, and I didn't have the appreciation for the aquatic features that I'd have now. Great pictures, thank you for sharing.

4. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dude, I'd definitely recommend it!! It's about $20 for a day pass and it is so worth it. The zoo itself is amazing, let alone what they've done with that aquarium.

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Great pics. Awesome aquarium.
    GIRS did a behind the scenes tour several years ago. Very cool seeing all that equipment that makes that place run as well as the work with corals and fish they are doing that the general public probably doesn't have any idea, or care much about anyway.

6. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd love to see some behind the scenes stuff there. The smaller Indo Pacific reef has been featured on Reefbuilders a couple times. They've shown some SERIOUS top-down shots!

7. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Another great idea for a future meeting!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @Pygmey@Pygmey has been trying to get a hold of someone down there to arrange another behind-the-scenes tour, but no one ever gets back to him. Anyone have an inside contact? I might reach out to Mike Catlett (NRS Prez) and see if he can get us hooked up...

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    just did this

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I arranged it last time. Mitch Carl was the curator of aquatics at that time and I worked directly with him. I think I did it all through the GIRS e-mail. Maybe look through and see if you can find his direct e-mail address. I am not seeing it
    He has been a Macna speaker, and was always listed as a speaker on Masna sight so his contact info should be there too.

11. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Mitch is who I tried to reach out to. That is how I coordinated a tour and him with Scott Michael as a speaker. No luck. Then called the zoo five times and left messages.

12. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heck, I'll give it a shot! I'm no ranking member here (well, not even technically a member anymore...) but I would be willing to try and contact somebody there to get us a tour! Always looking for an excuse to go to the zoo. :D

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I already reached out to Mike Catlett with NRS, he told me the guy we needed to contact was in a collection trip in the Caribbean but he would get me in touch with him.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @Pygmey@Pygmey @Reef Medic Clay@Reef Medic Clay @blackx-runner@blackx-runner Mike has a different contact at the aquarium that he's worked with more recently for a behind-the-scenes tour, so let's hold off on trying to contact anyone until he gets back to me. Then I'll put @Pygmey@Pygmey in touch with that guy.

15. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Collection trip - I would imagine part of the SECORE project the aquarium has been very involved in for some time?
    Hopefully you'll get in touch with that other contact. Behind the scenes tour is really a great opportunity for the club.

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Eric and I are in touch with the right person now ;)

17. great pics. love that place

18. great pics. love that place

19. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aww man, Bud. Now I'm way excited!! I missed out on the last opportunity to do a behind the scenes tour, I don't want to miss it again.

20. That's awesome! Keep updates posted, I want to go!