1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sand vs No Sand...Further questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Jul 15, 2008.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much for the input on my last post regarding using sand or not using sand in a reef tank. I learned a lot and have acquired the knowledge I need to move forward.

That being said, I am leaning towards either going with no sand at all, or a very shallow sand bed....basically a light dusting of sand on the bottom for visual effect.

Here are the questions.....

1. If I go with NO SAND, how much flow do I need to have in a tank of SPS, LPS, Anenome? Or to put it another way, do I have enough flow? (I have a 240 gallon tank with 2400 gph overflows and two vortechs.)

2. If I go with NO SAND, is my skimmer adequate to handle the load? I have a turbofloater 5000 shorty by aqua medic. If the link does not work please go to the aqua medic website.... protein skimmer link

3. Can you have anenome with no sand?

4. If I go with SSB (shallow sand bed), will I have the same issues with blowing sand that I might have with a regular sand bed? In other words, is there any advantage to having a having a SSB over a DSB as it pertains to blowing sand?

5. Is the idea of a SSB kinda dumb? Is it all or nothing? Is there a middle ground (SSB) or did I just make this up?

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Its kind of an all or nothing if your looking to keep sps and benefit from the concept of a barebottom. I personally think that having a shallow bed of sand is the same as having a deep bed.....in the end its still blowing. I would go bb and call it good if your planning on an sps tank, you might consider getting a few mj's with mods and pointing them straight down to help keep everything suspended.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bare Bottom is the way to go.... plus if you really don't like it, you can always add sand to it (easier than removing sand)

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think removing sand is easier... Just stick a hose in there and suck it out. Adding sand clouds everything and gets all over everything. Just my opinion though.

If you are going the SPS route go bare bottom. Any sand in the tank can be blown around, depth of bed just means there is more to blow. If you want a lower maintainance tank for softies, you want to keep sand sifting critters such as gobbies or starfish, or you want to try an anemone that needs its foot burried go with sand. With sand my philosophy is "Go big or go home." If you are going to have to restrict your flow you better get the most out of your sand bed. If I was to lightly dust the bottom of a tank I would use crushed coral. Good surface area for pods and bacterial growth and can be suctioned clean.

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For the record, I have some sand in my tank (For my Goby), I don't have any sand storms and my SPS all seems pretty happy.

-JB

6. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would stay away from sand ,I have had a sand bed for the last 3 years and i would never go back It's amazing how many nasty creatures and bacteria live in there.nitrates and so on .It has taken about a month and a half of vaccing to get all the sand that keeps coming out of my rocks.I would start with bare bottom and if you dont like it tear everything out dump some sand in and aqua scape again.JMO