1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sand Vacuuming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jag3365, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Jag3365

Jag3365

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey I have heard dissention on the issue of cleaning sand beds.  99% of the time I hear not to disturb or purge your DSB.  I was under the impression that cleaning the sand (be it replacing or siphoning detrius out) would damage the eco system in the DSB.  I have heard of people siphoning their DSB to remove this stuff manually and distrubing the sand and life within it.  What is everyone's thoughts?  I know a python works well back when I had an UGF and gravel, but sand is a little harder to clean.

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I don't vac mine but if you want to i would use a vac with a valve on it so u can slow it down or you will lose some sand.

3. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    you can you a python just keep the hose kinked with your other hand and it wont suck up the sand

4. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    can you stir the sand around to remove algae

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    If you are talking about red slime algae "witch is actually a type of bacteria " it won't do any good it will come right back.

6. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i recommend vacuuming out that DSB. The dark cloud of filth living in there can cause a lot of problems... when you are dumping buckets of black water down the drain you will understand what i mean. in my opinion a DSB is overrated. I have been getting closer and closer to going bare bottom all the time.

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I've never really cleaned mine on purpose [​IMG] but I only run 1-2".
    Sand sifting gobies (watchman, etc.), certain starfish, and various snails will clean it naturally.
    Just my $.02 worth.

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know very little about the benefits either way, but the sand sifting gobies are entertaining to watch. :) I'm planning on going with a 1" or so sandbed when I setup my next tank.

--AJ

9. Jag3365

Jag3365

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right now currently have a 3-5" DSB on the tank. I am going to be getting a Goby here pretty soon. I was just wondering if vacuuming the DSB was worth it or not to keep the balance of the tank. I thought the purpose of a DSB was to keep bacteria and pods in the sand to break down the detrius and food. I would hate to vacuum all that up.

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The purpose of a DSB is to get rid of nitrate naturally. Anaerobic conditions in the DSB promote bacteria that convert NO3 to N2 gas.

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2-3" sand bed and I use my python to clean it the best I can. I do loose some sand but I just think thats part of it and if I need to I will add more sand.

12. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there is anything wrong with vacuuming the surface. I wouldn't recommend stirring it up below the top inch though. There is a lot of nasty stuff deep down. If you ever replace your sand bed/tear down your tank you will know what I mean, the smell will be awful and the water will turn black. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif