1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sand bed turning gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Oct 5, 2008.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Got something new growing on my sand bed.  The sand bed is turning a bright gold/slightly brown color.  Haven't had this before.  I think it may also be starting on the glass.  Is this a type of algae that I've not had/seen before????   What causes whatever this is and how do I get rid of it????

2. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Need more info, how long has tank been set up, parameters?

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    The tank has been up almost 5 years.  75g with fish, live rock, snails, crab, and mainly some soft corals.  Paramaters have not changed recently:  temp @79-81, Am - 0, Nitrates - 10, alk - 3-3.5; ph 8.0, SG - 1.024, calcium 380-400, PO4 - 0.
    I've been dosing with vodka for about a month now (2 ml/day).  Previously nitrates had been at @20.
    I recently had a red slime problem and treated it with Red Slime control.  The 1st dose didn't take care of everything, so did a 20 g water change on 9/22 and then dosed a second time.  I had had the Red Slime control stuff for probably a year.  Dave H. told me that it has a shelf life.  I'm thinking that's probably why the 1st dose didn't take care of everything.
    I had also been using the Algae Fix (Marine) from API for a couple of months (since the conference in Rhinelander).  I had a lot of bubble algae and other stubborn algae on my rocks.  That really did the job for removing the algae.   But its been 3 weeks since I dosed last.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It doesnt look like a type of algae does it

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    No, it doesn't look like an algae

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Have you checked for phosphates?
    Whats the age of your bulbs?
    How is your cleaning crew, have they depleted over time?
    Just a few things to look into.

7. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Phosphates are zero.  Never have registered any in my display tank, but I know that is not all that uncommon.  I did register phosphates several months ago in my quarantine tank, so I think the test is ok.  Bulbs were changed at the beginning of August.  Cleanup crew has not been depleted.  I have about 10-15 crabs and same number of snails.  The snails had been depleted at the beginning of the summer, but I replenished them over the last 1-2 months.