1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Saltwater resevoir?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phathead, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I am alittle confused on mixing saltwater.  I am now cleaning to many tanks so I want to have saltwater premade.  I currently have an R/O unit that fills an 86 gallon resvoir.  I want to upgrade and have a 50-100 tank with made saltwater.  But if I mix the salt and water what do I need to be aware of to insure the water is still good when I use it?

How many days is the salt water good for?

Should I use a pump to keep it circulating?

Should I get a container that does not let light in?

Is there anything I am not thinking of?
    I would appreciate any help you could give me thanks!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The water should be good indefinitely.

Once the salt is dissolved it should not need a pump for circulation (though it wouldn't hurt to keep it circulating)

In theory you shouldn't get algae growth if it's receiving residual light, but I'd just go opaque and not have to worry about it. Then again, if there ARE any nitrates or phosphates in your salt mix any algae growth should use them up.

May be wrong, but since no one has answered yet...

3. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you should be fine holding that much water for several months. I would suggest keeping it agitated as it seems things precipitate out when large quanities sit, at least my experience anyhow. I agree with Ryan, you shouldnt have problems with the residual light, but might as well go opaque if its an option.

4. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i keep a 55 gal. plastic drum of saltwater made most of the time. i keep a pump running and air pump and heater, so it's ready to go for water
    changes.

kevin