1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Salt Mix?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Easy E, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    What lighting did you go with? An upgrade on tank size?! Wow and yay!! What size tank did you get?! How's it doing?

2. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team GIRS Member

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I picked up two AI Sol Blue modules really cheap. They have a couple burnt out LED's, but are still super bright compared to what I was using (Current USA = junk). The controller is damaged beyond repair so I'm going to post and see if anyone has a spare laying around. According to the documentation, these lights should be compatible with almost any controller. Without the controller, all 3 channels are 100% at all times. I was also given a black box for free, but it's all rusty and the blues don't work. I am an electronics tech though, so I think I can probably fix and re-paint it. However, it is one of the older ones without the focusing lenses, so I'm not sure it's worth the time.

The tank is a 6ft 125G glass with no overflow or sump. Everyone seems to have a sump, so I'm probably going to get the tank drilled. But it's an older tank with really thick glass, so I'm not sure how much of a problem that might be. There is also very limited space for a sump inside the stand (23"L x 16"D x 30"H) but I would think even a small sump would be better than nothing.

The tank is still sitting empty in my garage, so at this point, it's a clean slate. The plan is to take things slow, and make sure I get it right this time. I only have a few small fish and a 29G where they can be housed indefinitely while I'm working on this project. I am going to respond to your PM and very generous offer to help so we can figure out what the first step will be. Thanks Terri!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:

3. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Instant Ocean is cheapest usually
    For your future 125, that's what I would recommend starting with the

4. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team GIRS Member

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I had already decided to go with Instant Ocean. There's a local store that sells it really cheap. They also sell Reef Crystals for the same price, so my plan is to switch if I ever get enough coral growing to require the elevated Cal/Alk/Mg levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List