1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Rubbermaid Sumps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know generally speaking most people use those big 50g or 100g BLACK Rubbermaids that you can get at hardware stores when they talk about a Rubbermaid sump. I am curious, however, if any Rubbermaid plastic container is safe for such a sump. I saw some smaller Rubbermaids on sale at WalMart (specifically 31g and 50g) and just got to thinking that it really could work rather than this more expensive thing I bought a few weeks ago at Menard's. The WalMart ones aren't quit as thick, but otherwise they look and feel about the same (aside from color) and I could save quite a bit of money if I went that route.[script removed]

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you talking about a plastic tout? I would rather spend the x-tra money and have the reassurance that my sump wasn't going to crack and flood my room!!

Just my two cents.

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, they don't have them online so I can't provide a link. I found them in the tools section if that helps?

4. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You sure can!  I used a clear tote I think around 30 gal on my 150.  Very simple just kept it about half full and had a 1" bulkhead on one side.  I also put a piece of eggcrate in front of the bulkhead to keep my cheeto from getting sucked into the sump.  The clear tote seemed to flexible to crack and break although it did bow slightly.  I just upgraded (like yesterday) to a 100 gal and a 60 gal stock tanks from Farm and Fleet(better than the Rubbermaid ones IMO).  My 100 is the sump and the 60 is a frag tank.  So you can go big or small, simple or complex.  I will post pics of my new setup in a couple of days.

5. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have used some of thoughs and they work fine,you just need to make sure they are food grade and look on the bottom of the container for a number.it should be a 4 or a 5