1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

rubbermaid stock tank for sump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wayne1, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When i move i wanted to switch out my 33 gallon sump for a 100 gall rubbermaid stock tank, i was wondering if  anyone had any pics of there setup with one.  Thanks Wayne[​IMG]

2. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is what I am working on seting up for my built in project. Just remember that some of them come with a hole already tapped near the bottom that works great for the return pump to hook up to. Building dividers and such are about the same as any other tank, I just used cardboard to make templates first. They also work good for mixing your water in. Good luck, Shaun

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a rubbermaid tube to mix my water with.   One thing you might want to think about is getting a truck tie down belt.  Matters how much water will be in there, it will bow out a little and you can use the belt to keep it from bowing as much.  Otherwise it's easy to drill and work with.
    [​IMG]

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I use on for a refugium and have a HUGE ball of cheatomorpha growing in it.

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a picture of mine after it was set up but before I added the refugium. How would you be tying this to your system? Mine sits in the basement under the tank and I LOVE it, it keeps all the mess in one area and the main tank is almost silent.
    [​IMG]

6. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 11/29/2008 12:58 AM
    Here's a picture of mine after it was set up but before I added the refugium. How would you be tying this to your system? Mine sits in the basement under the tank and I LOVE it, it keeps all the mess in one area and the main tank is almost silent.
    [​IMG]
    RobynT, the new fishtank room is 12' by 20' so the tank will go in there for awhile. I currently bulit a stand for my 125, i just wanted something big enough for my skimmer to set in also, the footprint is huge. I would probally just put the sump of to one side of the tank.. thanks wayne

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to be using a stock tank as well on my new system. I have a 60 gallon stock tank from farm-n-fleet. I'll have it plumbed a little different. The main tanks overflows will go right into the stock tank via filter socks. From there I'll have my skimmer pump to run a skimmer externally. I'll also have an overflow inside the stock tank to go into a 65 gallon sump/fuge and teed off for a RDSB. The main reason I'm doing it like this is to have the added room for a large frag tank. Hopefully by Tuesday I'll have it all set up and a picture to post.

8. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow of my complete setup now as those pictures are not how it looks or operates today. The stock tank gives you so many different options if you have the room, I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

I had started a pretty nice thread, similar to this one, on Reef Central when I was trying to decide how to plumb all mine together but I'm banned from RC (for promoting the BNARC Frag Fest) so I can't really look it up. There are a lot of reefers out there using rubbermaid sumps and they all have great little personal touches on what works for them. I have half of mine utilized for growing frags since I don't need mine to hold a skimmer, etc.

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    GOOD FOR YOU!  Those greedy bastards think they can control everything!  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/clap.gif
    Anyway I think this is the thread you were talking about?  LINK

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I could do some sneaking around and get another ID for RC but I don't think I will.  My only sin was saying, "November 9th, don't miss it!" and linking back to the BNARC forum on RC.  Obviously this offended Beerguy as he not only "moved me on" but wouldn't take any emails from me either to try and work out the situation or at least apologize.  So be it, they are becoming no better than nazi's.

Yes, that is the link!  I believe you will find lots of good information there with pictures of other people's set ups.  Hope this helps!

(Thanks for the link! )

11. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's kinda what i was thinking of doing VVOLFE1. More pics are awesome

12. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    It's not done yet.  Where the white pipe is will be a 2" drain going into the left corner of the lower tank.  Then on the lower right is where my return pump is. The black things on top of the stock tank are for filter socks.  I'm making a baffle to put a mag18 to drive my beckett skimmer. the drain from the skimmer will just go down into the lower tank.  Hope that helps.

13. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love how they have begun thinning the RC community into mindless cattle. It all started when they decided it was a good idea to boot all of their experts. Got to love a group that forgets their roots...

14. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank Vvolfe1 , looks like your gonna have quite a system when you are done. Are you using the skimmer you made??