1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Solved Advice? Rock Flower Nem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nrenn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Just curious: how do rock flowers reproduce? Will they split like a mushroom, do they spawn mobile offspring that settle later, asexually or do I need multiple parents? Basically, I'm curious if my single nem might end up as a flower garden at some point, and how can I encourage it to multiply? Or should I just learn to be happy with the one I have?

PS, who's got some for sale?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Pretty sure rock flower nems only spawn so I think you'd need two of them in order to get a garden started.

3. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    You are apparently correct. Found these links. Short story is: Rock flowers are 1:1 male or female and reproduce sexually, so you need a handful to gaurantee at least one breeding pair. Males release gametees into the water column, females live-bear the young for some amount of time and then they will be deposited in or on the adjacent substrate, under her tentacles.

For those interested, here are your chances for at least a single pair, depending on how many you have:
    2 - 50%
    3 - 75%
    4 - 88%
    5 - 94%
    6 - 97%
    7 - 98%
    8 - 99%

Rock Flower Anemone Breeding
    Ugly Duckling Anemones in a New Light

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018