1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RO Unit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, Jun 29, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I need to get an RO unit. Where did you get yours? How many stages?

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.airwaterice.com
    thats where I got mine and many others in the club

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    AirWaterand Ice is great and so are theFilterguys.biz!

4. TRichardson79

TRichardson79

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard good things about PureWaterClub.com on other message boards. I purchased a TDS Meter from them and shipping was pretty quick and free too :)

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine is also air,water, and ice and I LOVE it. Use it both for drinking water and tank water daily :)

6. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am with the Air water and ice here. But, I know that Bulk Reef Supply has some decent units hat are not bad on price.

7. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've looked at RO units at Menards and Home Depot....anything fundamentally wrong with those?

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there is anything WRONG with them, they just don't come with the DI portion, to my knowledge. You will probably need DI on your water to get 0 TDS out of it.

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I bought my Coralife in 2006 when Foster Smith had it on sale for $115...4 stage 75gpd.

If you shop, you'll find a great deal.  RO/DI, like most things in this hobby, suffers from greed and price gouging as soon as a "Marine" sticker is attached to the product.
    Let's face it...there's 3 10" clear containers, 1 PVC container for the membrane, some plastic tubing and the filters.  Prices vary wildy on the filters as well, but I get my supplies from H2O Splash on eBay
    H2O SPLASH
    Here's a 5 stage/75gpd for $121.95 + shipping
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse-Osmosis-System-75-DI-Drinking-Water-Aquarium_W0QQitemZ400025165289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSmall_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item5d235b9de9&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A5%7C294%3A30
    -Eric

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So he can save $50 by NOT GETTING an auto shut off valve, pressure guage, flush valve, DI bypass, RO only output, free TDS meter?

Gee what a deal.

The reason these so called RO units with the "Marine" Stickers cost a little more is because they come with accessories that aid in using them for reef tank applications.

If you are going to make an investment on a piece of equipment you will more than likely use for a very long time if not your entire life why not spend a little more and get what you want the first time?

Air Water Ice makes some of the best units on the market and are a CLUB SPONSOR. They have great customer service and did I mention a LIFETIME WARRANTY on parts?

Oh and you can get 10% off using the club discount.

11. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also compare the RO membrane that comes with the system. Trusted brands like Filmtec and Spectrapure is more efficient and will last a lot longer than an off brand found in the cheaper units.

12. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Air Water and Ice are great. I got my unit used on ebay for like 70 bucks shipped and there was a problem with the RO membrane. I TOLD THEM that I bought it used and they didn't care... they shipped me out a new one free of charge. I didn't even have to pay shipping. All they needed was the name of the original buyer to proove it had, in fact, been bought from them. They do stand behind their products, and even though I like to save all the money I can, I don't think that their products are overpriced at all for what you are getting, especially when compared to the competition.

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got mine from Air, Water and Ice too. They were very good to deal with...and I had *lots* of questions. I basically diagrammed out what I wanted the RO/DI system to do, and they gave me recommendations on what I could get to meet those needs (I wanted to do my reef stuff and hook it up to the refrigerator for water and ice). There were no bundle packages that were exactly what I needed so they customized a bundle just for me. After I got it and hooked it up, I didn't feel like the membrane was giving me the numbers that I expected, so they sent me a new one free of charge. Now I will say, they were a bit slow on the shipping, but that would be my only criticism of them. I would buy from them again without hesitation.

--AJ

14. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 06/30/2009 08:35 AM
    So he can save $50 by NOT GETTING an auto shut off valve, pressure guage, flush valve, DI bypass, RO only output, free TDS meter?
    Gee what a deal.
    The reason these so called RO units with the "Marine" Stickers cost a little more is because they come with accessories that aid in using them for reef tank applications.
    If you are going to make an investment on a piece of equipment you will more than likely use for a very long time if not your entire life why not spend a little more and get what you want the first time?
    Air Water Ice makes some of the best units on the market and are a CLUB SPONSOR. They have great customer service and did I mention a LIFETIME WARRANTY on parts?
    Oh and you can get 10% off using the club discount.
    That was nice - never heard of this company nor mentioned them in any way, didn't follow the link before, and made a blanket statement that is generally true in this hobby.  I guess if this thread was entitled "Isn't Our Club Sponsor Air, Water & Ice A Great Company!" and I jumped in with an opinion about another vendor, it may have been somewhat called for.  Unfortunately, the thread asked where we purchased our filters from.
    According to their site, they do have decent pricing on most of their products, however a Filmtec membrane shipped is cheaper with the other company, even with your 10% discount...same goes for individual filters or filter packages.  Package price for the Typhoon III is on par and it is nice to have it already configured.  Can't beat the warranty, but when I purchased in 2006 most were following the then expensive filter guys like sheep.
    Good thing we have options in this hobby!
    -E

15. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Seriously? Does everything need to be a soap opera? You get what you pay for simple as that, whether you buy from AWI, The Filter Guys, or Digbats Water Co. Find the options you are looking for and get the right one the first time.

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Dingbats Water Co.??? Wasn't that Keith's uncles store?

Like sands through the hour glass......

17. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    does anyone know what the shipping rates  are at air water and ice?

18. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To Ames, the Typhoon III would cost $24.95 to ship.
    Just picked a popular model and put it in cart.

19. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    When I bought mine from Air, Water, and Ice they had free shipping over $150 so I would watch for that or maybe its still going on. I used that instead of the 10% discount because it worked out a little cheaper. Great product and easy to hook up. I also bought a float valve and Dual TDS meter at the same time and they are both great.