1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RO Install Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B-Rad, Nov 26, 2008.

1. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, I'M getting closer to getting my tank up and running, this week I'm working on my auto top offs and RO unit.
    My plan is to use a auto top off kit with a jug and an aqua lifter pump for fresh water, and another top off kit to fill my salt water mixing tank.
    I don't want to use float valves because of their reliability issues.
    So I would like to use two electric solenoids, one for each tank coming from my RO unit.
    Is anyone currently using solenoids for theirs, or does anyone have any suggestions on which ones to use?
    My other question is about the RO auto shut off valve that shuts the water off to you're RO when the pressure rises.
    Do they seem reliable?
    Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. 

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What about drilling a hole towards to the top of your jug and lead it to the drain? Just in case the float valve doesn't work you'll still be safe.

Glad to see you're still on it slacker.

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Get a level loc.

4. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    B-rad I got all the stuff for mine from MCMaster Carr. I used a float to turn on my ro/di then one to turn it off. On the same circuit I also put in a timer to shut it off in 30 minutes nomatter what.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just got a double float switch from autotopoff.com and love it! I have it hooked up to an aqualifter which sucks water from a 20 gallon rubber made tote which has a float valve in it. For my water change water i have a 30 gallon horizontal stock tank with a float valve, both of those containers are fed by a single line coming from my RODI unit. For safety i use a solenoid that only allows the water to run to the float valves from 4:30 pm to 10 pm, i have it setup this way so if there is a problem with a float valve it will only be able to flood for about 5 1/2 hours. I have used float valves for a very long time, i have even used them in sumps hooked directly to RODI units and have never really had a problem, its not advisable but it can be done. Think about it, float valves are used all over in your house, your toilets, washing machine, even the ice maker, how often do these fail?

As for the auto shutoffs in RODI's i have never had a problem with mine failing and feel they are very reliable.

Hope that helps.

6. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey man...
    You need to come by my place and see my water control panel...I can help you make one that is custom for whatever you want to do...
    Here are a couple of pics.....I can explain more if you think this is in line with what you are thinking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let me know...
    eins

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the input guys!!!
     Einsteins, that looks like what I'm looking for.
    I defiantly want to come and check that out, along with the rest of you're system.
    Please let me know when you would be available and I'll come on up. (I'm free all weekend!!!)

Again thanks. I'll PM you

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Isn't that flex tubing and snap connection stuff great!  I used some when plumbing my bathroom recently and it's really cool stuff.

--AJ