1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RO/DI Water quality - what do you use as your guide to replace your filter media?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Mar 26, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I purchased a three stage RO/DI filter from another GIRS member.  It was used and I didn't know how long the filters had been used.  I borrowed a TDS meter and it's reading 3-4 for the water that it produces.  I also tested the Wal-Mart water that I buy and it was reading the exact same thing.  Then I tested my home water (just to make sure that it wasn't giving everything the same reading) and I got 165-170.  My question is, what is considered a safe number to use...and at what point do you place the order for replacement filters?
    --AJ

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

AJ If it were me I would replace them all!!

Start out fresh, then you know what you got. The filters are not all that expensive to purchase.

Just my 2 cents.

-Rick-

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good info Rick...but I'm testing the water to determine how much to sell this unit for... So a little background on the situation. I bought this unit just to get me by for a little while and to get around the inconvenience of lugging water from the store. Since then, I have ordered a new 5 stage unit that arrives next week so I no longer need the three stage unit. I don't want to sell something without knowing if the filters need to be replaced or not as that would impact what I asked for it. So that goes back to the root of my question...at what point do you replace filters, and is 3-4 TDS OK? I can't imagine that you can expect much better out of a three stage unit. I thought that it was interesting that the Wal-Mart water and the water out of this 3-stage unit produced the same results.

--AJ

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it's reading anything above 0 you need to replace the DI. What's the reading off of the RO membrane? Reading off your RO should be somewhere between 40 and 10 depending on the age of the membrane and its quality. If it's higher than that, I'd say that needs to be replaced too. What are the stages on the system? Sediment filter, RO, and DI?

Specs on my water: In = 650, off RO = 7, off DI = 0

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't test off of the RO...just off of the DI. I'll test that. It looks like the DI is color changing resin and it still looks like it has some life in it so it must be filters or membranes...I'll check that tonight.

--AJ

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That color changing stuff isn't very reliable. If anything it WAY under estimates how much life is left in the resin. I've gone 50 gallons + on a visually exhausted resin. It's much better to just keep a running tally of how much water has gone through it. But that doesn't seem to be the problem here :)

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Some thing to think about AJ,

Instead of selling it once you get your new one why not use it as a combo phos and carbon reactor...[​IMG]

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I usually replace my filters when they look nasty or the pressure going to the my RO membrane drops. This is where a pressure guage right before your RO membrane comes in handy.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good idea Jeremy. I ordered a pressure gauge to put between the refrigerator and the 3.5 gallon pressure tank (in case the water or ice maker started acting weird, I could make sure they were getting adequate pressure) but it sounds like maybe I should order another to put between the filters and the RO membrane.

--AJ

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a good idea, but I would have to but the modified inserts for the canisters which means additional expense.  I have a friend that still buys his RO/DI water so this would be better than the nothing that he has right now and I could get close to enough for a dual chamber reactor from BRS that comes with the inserts and the ball valve. 
    --AJ

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rock on!!

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I measured off of RO and the TDS is 7...seems in line with what you are seeing h2so4hurts...are you running dual DI or should my DI be taking it down to 0? I've ruled out that the TDS meter needs to be recalibrated because it tested the same on two separate meters.

--AJ

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd say your DI resin is dead. Try switching it out and see if that fixes it. Sounds like the system is running great otherwise :)

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll give that a try. It's color changing resin and looks like it has quite a bit of life left..but I'll change it out and see if that helps.

--AJ

15. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Who knows how old it was when you got it though. Unless you replaced it when you got it?

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I asked the guy I bought it from and he really didn't know. It has color changing resin in it and according to the colors, it should still have about 1/2 life in it..but it sounds like that's not really the case. I'll replace and take new readings.

--AJ