1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RO/DI question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Aug 1, 2008.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if North Liberty treats their water with Chloramines?  The water website says they use chlorine, but they don't say anything about chloramines. 

2. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, all local municipalities and rural water providers treat H2O w/ Chloramines.

Chloramines are formed during a reaction between Chlorine and Ammonia.

NH3 (aq) + HOCI -> NH2Cl + H2O

Three forms of Chlorines can form depending on pH ...mono-,di-, or tri-chloramine

NH2Cl + H2O is used to eradicate bacteria, viruses, and microorgainisms in H2O holding tanks/etc.

RO units will not remove Chloramines but, Chloramines can be removed by way of a granular active carbon filter. This filter brings down chloramine concentrations from 2-3 ppm to less than 0,2 ppm. If your RO/DI has a Carbon stage you should be in the clear.
    I think Randy has written several articles on this very subject...I will see if I can track one down

3. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jim at the Filter guys is VERY well versed on chloramines and says that it is best if you do a double carbon filter to increase reaction time and ensure the chloramines are removed. They actually sell a 2 carbon block set that is used for chloramine removal.

HTH

eins

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gotta wonder about that. How many people use a double carbon stage [

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is it only firefox that gives:

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif = /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif"align="absmiddle" border="0"> ?

Or is it this 'not cool' for every browser?

7. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have obviously never dealt with Jim....I called one day to oder a new membrane only to have him ask me a few questions about my system and recomend a couple of things that ended up with me ordering a few things that was about half the cost of a membrane.

BTW...I would appreciate you quit stirring the pot on EVERYTHING I say in these forums.