1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RO/DI Filters - What do you have/like/dislike?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Oct 18, 2008.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I understand the importance of using RO/DI water, but I'm wondering what kind of filter everyone uses.  I just set up my tank and so far, I've been using RO/DI water from the Culligan water station at my local Wal-Mart.  It has to be better than what i get out of the tap and it's not expensive.   I feel that I can get away with that for now since I have such a small tank and can purchase an adequate reserve to keep at home.
    I've seen a wide variety of different filters and read different things about all of them.  Also, I've read that certain things are more important for some areas than others (i.e. due to chemicals used to treat CR water, I've read that some recommend a dual carbon stage, etc)....what does everyone thing about the best type of filter to use for the Cedar Rapids water?
    I'm interested in hearing all of the details including brand preference, reasons for your brand preference, do I need a pressure pump or not, daily production capacity guidelines, maintenance costs, usage recommendations, etc.
    Thanks for all your help.  I really value to the input from all of you.
    --Aaron

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You came to the right place. Go to one of two places - The Filer Guys (thefilterguys.biz) or Air water and Ice (airwaterice.com). AWI supports the club but the Filter guys give a little better personal service. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the others. Call one of these two and they will set you up. Shouldn't cost you much more than $150. Tons of people in the club have great experiences with these two companies. I have had great experiences with both for add on DI and other products but I originally bought my Kent RO/DI from Dr Fosters and Smith for over $300 about 10 years ago before these companies existed.

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0