1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RKE Versions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is the difference between ReefKeeper Elites versions 1 and versions 2 other than that v2 is the newer version and obviously built later?

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Surely someone knows!

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I hadn't tried their forums, but their website really had no info on anything but the version 2 at this point. From what some users have said it is the same exact unit but the changed the "feel" of the buttons. The button layout is exactly the same though? IDK, I will try asking on RC abd DA forums too. Thanks for the tip!

5. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

RKE ver 1:  Has a touch senstive flat button set.  Apparently reads either small electricty that is in finger or heat.
    RKE ver 2:  Has a traditional micro-controller button set.
    They went to version 2 because people were reporting problems with the touch button ones.  I think they linked it to EM from MH ballasts.

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AH ok. So other than that it is the same product and will work with everything that is made for the RKE as far as probes, addons, etc? I ask because my old boss is selling his unit due to a cross country move but I want to make sure I am not locked out from adding anything to it being an "old" version.
    BTW Jester, what controller do you use that has that cool status deal in your sig? Hoping to eventually do something like that myself :)

7. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bela on 11/10/2009 02:31 PM
    AH ok. So other than that it is the same product and will work with everything that is made for the RKE as far as probes, addons, etc? I ask because my old boss is selling his unit due to a cross country move but I want to make sure I am not locked out from adding anything to it being an "old" version.
    BTW Jester, what controller do you use that has that cool status deal in your sig? Hoping to eventually do something like that myself :)
    Yes, both versions are interchangable with all item sold for the RKE.
    My sig is actually drivin off of the NET module for my RKE! :)

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very cool. I might bug you on how to set it up once I get it! Looks like I will jump on the deal since I will be able to expand to my hearts content. Thanks much for the help!

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Bela, Check out this thread for info on how to do it.
    You mentioned you had an iPhone too right?   There is a free iPhone app for the AquaControllers that allows you to monitor/control your tank from your phone.   I'm not sure if there is any equivalent for the RKE (yet).
    -JB

10. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By JB on 11/10/2009 05:46 PM
    Bela, Check out this thread for info on how to do it.
    You mentioned you had an iPhone too right?   There is a free iPhone app for the AquaControllers that allows you to monitor/control your tank from your phone.   I'm not sure if there is any equivalent for the RKE (yet).
    -JB
    Yeah, there's an app for that (RKE)! iReef

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sweet. I continue to be amazed by how many apps are available for the iPhone. It's really amazing when you consider how crappy their development language is...

-JB

12. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks for the tips. I was familiar with aquanotes from my boss having used it but I had no idea about ireef. Not as pretty at first glance but who really cares. Is there charting available right from your phone? I know that aquanotes lets you view graphs and such. Not like it is really that necessary on the go like that but still a nifty feature. This should give me a little mote peace of mind when I fly home to Cali to visit the family and my girlfriend is left home to take care of the tank! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Aquanotes for the iPhone does do charts. Don't know anything about iReef for the RKE.

-JB

14. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The app does not, currently.  The person who designed I reef was talking about putting it on.

However, you can access your your controller information on the the Internet via RSS feed, that does provide graphing.