1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

reuse old substrate???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I got a tank setup from a guy and it has a deep sand bed filled with critters still so wanted to reuse it in another new tank I'm setting up today. Is this possible? It's extremly dirty and need cleaned up alot before I'd put in new tank but how do I do that? Is it a waste if time and just buy new aragonite or can I clean it up and use to seed my new tank??? Please help... Toss it or is it beneficial to reuse it as it's from an established reef but the guy stopped taking care of it a few months ago. What to do friends? Please advise....

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My opinion is to save a few scoops to seed a new sandbed. I wouldn't reuse it. Rinsing it out doesn't really work either....just start with new.

3. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I re-used sand once, and battled phosphate and algae issues for the entire time I had the tank set up. I wouldn't ever try to re-use sand again. A few scoops would be great to seed your new sand with beneficial critters though, as Lee mentioned!

Good luck!
    Anna :)

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I would add some water to it then vac it off and use it. I have done this pleanty of times it is a wast to through it out. But everyone has a different view and a different amount of cash in there bank account.

5. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have also gotten sand from other people and used all of it. I admit for the first 6 months or so the sand was full of waste and phosphates were high but after alot water changes and sifting through the sand during the water change it always worked it self out. I guess the wuestion you need to ask yourself is Should I spend money on sand or spend time cleaning for awhile? All in all if you have the money buy new if not than suffer consequences for awhile but it has never been sealed fate using old sand at least for me.

6. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have also gotten sand from other people and used all of it. I admit for the first 6 months or so the sand was full of waste and phosphates were high but after alot water changes and sifting through the sand during the water change it always worked it self out. I guess the wuestion you need to ask yourself is Should I spend money on sand or spend time cleaning for awhile? All in all if you have the money buy new if not than suffer consequences for awhile but it has never been sealed fate using old sand at least for me.

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Bill and Phathead. I have reused sand many times. I wash it very well first though.

8. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have used old sand and never really had a phosphate issue or anything, i did have a little bit of an algae issue but i think that was just cause of the tank cycling, i dont have anything now, my sand gets a little brownish when not stirred up but my pumps are to big to point at anydirection that might hit the sand...kinda sucks