1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Returning to the hobby

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DanB, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Big D Well-Known ReefKeeper

Center Point
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Seems like all new tanks get that..anyway mine did. Get a lawnmower blenny and he will love ya....

2. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team GIRS Member

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure exactly what type of algae that is, but it looks very similar to what I had in my tank when it was new. I just knocked it loose with a brush, siphoned out what I could, and tried to get the rest with a fish net. Maybe I just got lucky, but it never came back after the subsequent water change. That kind of thing is normal for a new tank and probably a good indication that it is cycling properly. It shouldn't be too hard to get rid of. It may even go away on its own. I had a lot more of it than you do and its gone now. My tank is only about 6 months old.

3. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Looks like your basic hair line Algae, there is a few thing you can do , my question is have you started a clean up crew yet ? Turbo snail or sea hair would mow it down or a first fish I lean on a starry blenny over a lawn mower just on colors they do the same thing thou, wait on adding any tangs and when you do add them together and make them your last fish

4. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Where is your nitrates and phosphates at ? Is the Perkanni rock?

5. DanB Returning Reef Keeper

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the responses guys. I've been doing some research and am a bit worried that I have Bryopsis Algae. My nitrates are fairly low but phosphates are higher than I would like. I think the live rock and sand are leaching phosphate. My current plan is to keep doing water changes and let the algae continue soaking up the phosphate. I'm in no hurry to add corral or other livestock so I'll just wait for the phosphate to start dropping and then start removing the Bryopsis algae with a Fluconazole treatment.