1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Restaurants with reef Tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Nov 29, 2017.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
  2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Emils hideaway is awesome. Go there all of the time. His dad even catered my wedding 27 years ago. There is a restaurant near my house here in Cedar Rapids called the Butcher Block. They have a couple of big tanks that could use some attention but the food there is very good but a little pricey.

Sent from my iPhone via App

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think I ate at the Block a few years ago. The tanks were huge but rough if I remember right

4. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    As a sidebar Nathan who owns Emils hideaway just recently opened a restaurant called Freshwraps on Mount Vernon Rd. I haven't had a chance to eat there but it is like emils hideaway as it is tucked in behind the Dairy Queen and share the same parking lot. And I am sure it is good as well.

Sent from my iPhone via App

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  5. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Splash in downtown Des Moines. Been a few years (maybe more like 8 or 9 years) since I've been there so I'm not sure if they still have them... but they used to have tons of tanks.

6. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Killer, no, but Akebono has a large SW tank behind the sushi bar. It's been looking pretty sad lately.

Taki in WDSM also has one if I remember correctly.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Taki in Urbandale from the weekend before last

EABF1D56-CC0C-4471-961F-738E1EE5C9AB.png

03D043ED-C3EE-413F-92EE-126FE7619A82.png

F525FB17-3CE4-44F0-A506-806A0E7B6775.png

1DB95078-891E-453F-B66A-4D96CF611BCE.png

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @xroads@xroads remember we went there after a fest with the speakers. Tank was kind of a mess IIRC

I saw that tank before they opened up years ago - the owner is the former sushi chef at Taki, nice guy. But the tank was a brand that makes them fast and ships before they are cured so there was a scary looking seam, I'm shocked that tank hasn't exploded. Plus they scratched the crud out of it, he wanted me to buff it out...kinda worried about touching the thing. But it's essentially a 100g AIO with the weird chambers in the back, I was like man, you knew me, I would have hooked you up with a tank that someone could actually maintain well...

Anyways I heard Akebono 515 has some pretty damn good food

9. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    It's incredible. My office is in that building...or was as of yesterday...heh. We're moving. Akebono was our "Southern board room"

10. They have 11 tanks. I clean them every week.

11. Not Really any reef tanks though. There is an anemone tank but most are fish only systems.

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Nice, I know that their tanks went through a few hands over the last few years, and at one point a few got toasted by a broken water pipe.

13. yes it's a 125 year old building, sweet sweet building though. The restaurant is kinda like 2 1/2 floors. I've been cleaning the tanks for 2 years now. They are looking pretty good now.

14. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Lucky Bamboo testaurant in Ankeny has (or at least had - havent been there in awhile) a nice under counter tank. He used to sell frags if you' ask for some. Good guy.

15. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    He used to post here, I remember one specific sale where he basically said "Whoops, played wrecking ball during cleaning time" and had dozens of small frags :lol:

16. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am glad someone took over Splash, it has been a couple years since we were there last, but the tanks looked kind of rough then.

17. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Another one just right up the road from Emil's hideaway. Cibo fusion in Marion has a reef tank. Pretty decent looking the last time I was in there.

18. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    how is the food?

19. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I've been happy with my meals the couple times I've eaten there.

20. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Tony manages emils tank. It is awesome