1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Removing Goby

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jag3365, May 8, 2009.

1. Jag3365

Jag3365

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have any advice as to removing a sand sifting goby?  I have a Diamond goby that's creating havoc with my sand and corals at the moment.  I want to try to relocate him from the tank.  But he doesn't seem to be like all the other fish and be persuaded with food, since all he does night and day is gobble up sand.  My fear is that I have to take all the rock out and go digging for him...not what I want to do.  So looking for suggestions before I tackle the inevitable.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just did this about a month ago (specifically with a diamond goby). I created a DIY pop-bottle fish trap, put some small holes in the outside of the bottle to let the scent of the mysis out and put a little trail of food into the trap and a bunch inside of it. It worked like a champ. Maybe 5 minutes and it was caught.

I used a 20 oz bottle vs. a 2-liter bottle since I have a nano tank and I just left the neck on it. Here's a plan for one...there's probably a hundred different sets of DIY instructions for this. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fish_trap.php
    What I like about this method is that it's easy and not traumatic to the fish your catching or the other inhabitants of your tank as you don't have to go chasing stuff down with a net.  Frequently when using a net, you can smack the fish against a rock or something and hurt them.  A friend of mine bought some black clowns from a LFS and one of them got a nice scratch on its eye while being caught.  Luckily it healed over and there was no permanent damage.

--AJ

3. Jag3365

Jag3365

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's what I need to get rid of is a Diamond Goby.  I figured he wouldn't be interested in anything but sand. But I am willing to try anything!