1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Removing an anemone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by einsteins, Jan 28, 2008.

1. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all
    I have a Sabae anemone that is just getting to big and I would like to maybe try and take it out of my tank and trade it for a smaller one.
    He is attached to the rock and I was wondering if amyone knows how to get him off the rock so I can remove him?
    Thanks eins

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    It's not very hard but it could be time consuming, usually you can hold the rock upside down and let the anemone hang upside down in the water it will tend to release alot easier. If you can get under an edge of its boot with your finger you can gentlly run your finger back and forth working the boot off the rock. Luckily seabae's are one of the easiest anemones I've found to work with when it come to removing or moving them.

3. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think if u that the rock with anemone, and leave it on your kitchen table for about a day then that a hammer to it and it should come right off! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif just my two cents

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Aiming a powerhead at their foot works well too. I moved a 12" Purple tipped sabae from my 55 to my 90 last fll and used an MJ1200. Took a couple of hours but kept from harming

5. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I second the powerhead, ive used that trick multiple times with great success!

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I've heard the powerhead trick as well works. You just have to piss it off so it starts to move. You don't want it to end up like JB's though! I've also heard rubbing an icecube on the foot will get them to release.

7. FishNewb1

FishNewb1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used the hammer tecnique to remove my RBTA from the rock. well... without the whole leaving it out for a day part..

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anything to piss it off will work. I personally am very impatient and have taken them off rock with a chisel before. You just have to be careful not to damage the foot or stop if you crack the rock it is on as it might tear the foot.

9. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hear that singing and dancing in front of your tank will help them release. If you could please have someone record the process and post it so we can all see the results that would be great.

10. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I heard that singing really does help haha.  On a more serious note usaully when connected there will be a very small spot on its base that is not connected get your finger or a blunt object under there and slowly pull up on it ripping it from the rock not literally it will let go just go slow not to tear the anemone.  Hope this helps.

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    If you can reach it's foot, just slip your fingernail under it's foot and slowly peel the foot off. I've had success doing this with BTAs.

12. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 01/28/2008 5:52 PM
    I hear that singing and dancing in front of your tank will help them release. If you could please have someone record the process and post it so we can all see the results that would be great.
    Ah yes,  I'm sure the video would be very popular on you-tube[​IMG]

13. Deleted member 120

Deleted member 120 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it's anything like my wife just tell it "there's a tank leak!"...amazing how fast things move then...