1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

removeing scratches from glass

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by fmsill, Oct 12, 2009.

1. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This sucks, I was cleaning my front glass with a mag float And their was a piece of dolomite on it and it put a pretty deep scratch in the glass. Luckily its on the outside but its deep enough that my fingernail catches on it. Just wondering if anyone knows if it can be removed or am i stuck with it? I have a bad feeling its their for good.
    Brian

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If it's that deep i think you may be screwed. I have a buddy with a glass buffer but it's a crap shoot with a deep scratch.

3. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I dont think its all gonna come out but if it helps a little it might be worth a try. Is their much of a chance of breaking the tank?
    Brian

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    When buffing it gets pretty hot, I dunno, I would try it on my own tank, but probably not someone elses.

5. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    cant say i blame you! I would rather live with a scratch rather than a broken tank.

6. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    The water on the other side of the tank will keep it cool. Or maybe the difference in temps will break it for sure.

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have always heard that if you try to buff out anything other than very fine scratches on glass that you'll end up with an area that is even more noticeable than the original scratch because the amount of material needed to be removed will change the optics of the glass. 
    Kind of like the way prescription glasses are made but not as extreme but still very noticeable.

8. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we buff glass at my work all the time, and we sit the butter on an area for quite a while and you can't tell a difference when looking through it cause your not taking that much away. but we deal with windows and doors not a afish tank where there is water behind the glass that will magnify things

9. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Ummm Butter yummy

10. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    this is why I am glad I have an acrylic tank- I just buffed out 90% of the scratching on it :) it is shiny and new looking :) if some gets removed, acrylic won't show the inside distortion as much once filled....

11. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just wondering but why is this in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum??

12. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Sorry just got it posted in the wrong place.
    Brian

13. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no problem. i was just trying to find it to see the new posts and was searching everywhere haha didn't expect it here :)

14. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to keep you guessing ha ha. I guess the way it sounds though im kinda stuck with the scratches. It wouldnt be as bad on say a 30 or 40 gallon tank but on a 220 its kinda pricey just to replace the tank unless i could win the lottery. Then i could just buy a bigger tank like say a 5000 gallon tank lol.
    Brian

15. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I fond that some clear epoxies can fill the scratch and make it less noticeable. You will still be able to see i it just wont be as vivid and you can buff it down once cured and it could look like a minor scratch. Shaun