1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

refugium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CREYNOLDS, Apr 19, 2008.

1. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so Iam seting up a 29 gallon reef only with 250 m/h and i built a 10 gallon refugium. what do you guys think about not running a skimmer? What are the down side to not running one? Now i run a roma on my 72 fish only tank. But this is only going to have 1 or 2 fish in the reef tank?
    thanks!

2. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you want you can easily get by on weekly water changes if you don't overfeed. I have two small aquariums and I just change a gallon or two a week.

3. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I wouldnt recomend it but it can be done. I clean a 220 only once amonth and he doesnt have a skimmer with about 10 4-6" fish. It does fine but he has low lighting and there is still alot of build up of waste but that could be because not much current in the tank but all in all it seems to be working it been about 1 year without a skimmer. There isnt many corals though but as far as I have experienced with softys anyway is that when I let my tank slide on water changes my rricordias will rapidly reproduce becuase of high nutrients. Hope this helps.

4. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What do you guys run in your refugium? Iam gonna run l/r , plants and 3 inch sand bed. Any other suggustions for a reef tank? thanks!

5. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Chaeto seems to be pretty popular. You should check out nano-reef.com, they have tons of info on tanks your size. Here's a thread that I made on there.
    My Aquariums

6. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    THANKS. They have some good articles on nano reef tanks.

7. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Anyone know who drills tanks in Cedar Rapids?

8. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By CREYNOLDS on 04/22/2008 6:43 PM
    Anyone know who drills tanks in Cedar Rapids?
    just buy a drillbit or two off ebay and drill it yourself, it a no brainer to do, ive even seen girls do it/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blink.gif
    this guy on ebay is a good person to buy from, a bit will cost you about 10-15 bucks which is much cheaper than any glass shop will drill them for you.
    do a little research on the size bulkheads and pipe you want to use then buy the correct size bit. those bits will drill a hole in your tank in about 1 minute, its very simple to do.

9. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok thanks

10. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    if your not confident enough haung at sea of marvels will do it.

11. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know but he want 20 bucks a hole and need 4 holes.

12. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a drill bit for putting in 1 inch bulkheads that I have never used.  I can't remember how many millimeters it is, but I know it's for a 1" bulkhead.  I am in CR if you want to borrow it.

13. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is it a diamond tipped bit? The size of the hole saw should be 1 1/4. A 1 inch fiiting can screw into it right?

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it's more likely that a 1" bulkhead will require ~1.75" hole

15. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, is a diamond tipped hole saw? Would you just want to sell it? thanks

16. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it is a diamond tip bit.  It is one of the cheapo ones that you can get on E-bay from Korea.  If you want to buy it off me that's fine, since I am apparently never going to use it.

17. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    RyanShall is right, a 1" bulkhead requires a 1 3/4" hole. The bit that I have is 45mm.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/45mm-Diamond-tipped-drill-bit-bits-hole-saw-dewalt-tile_W0QQitemZ180234499328QQihZ008QQcategoryZ41501QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

18. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well a 45mm bit should work great. 45mm=1.84 inches The extra .09 inches will be sealed by the gasket on the bulkhead easy.

19. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys! How much you want for the bit?

20. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So what do you guys think is the best apporach to lighting my refuguim. 24/7 or opposite of my main tank? What kind of lighting is best. I bought a new 90 watt power compact flood bulb. What do you guys use?