1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Reefbuilders.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Jan 10, 2018.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I am just throwing this out there for discussion. For me, I can't read Reefbuilders anymore. Jake's ego is out of control, IMO. I truly feel he is just an over self hyped hobbyist and really not an expert like he claims to be. I'll give him props for starting the site and for getting companies to send him free gear to 'review'. And I admire him for somehow convincing the industry to pay for his 'explorations' of sea coral. But I mean, come on, I am a diver too and I hardly think of my rec dives as coral explorations. He is practically claiming to have discovered coral never before described. I mean, come on....

And the quality of the articles are poor, with the exception of Michael Paletta. (I love his articles). The equipment reviews I don't find useful, as they are really just paid advertisements. And I don't understand the beef he has with Neptune.

Anyways I just came here to rant.

2. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Also I need some Cheato and an anemone. Hit me up if you have either. I will travel within 60 miles of Mt. Pleasant, IA to get it otherwise isn't worth my while. Thanks.

3. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Lol once you have become a diver everything just changes.......

4. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Yes, this ^.

5. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I agree. Really no useful product reviews. He gets it free and just hypes it up. Probably don' even use half of it long term on his tanks.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It has been widely rumored that he pressures companies to advertise/donate. (Sexy corals debacle) If not they end up with negative stories/reviews. It used to be a great site, then the greed and success got to him and ruined it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Watch the video he did on Mile High Reefer's tank... He's pretty condescending to Scott (the host of the channel) and at times appears to make fun of him directly to his face. Mike Paletta is what keeps me going back to RB. Morning Coffee is the best set of articles!