1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Reef wall project

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by nuccatree, Apr 4, 2009.

1. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to create a reef wall for the back of a 75rr and was wondering if anyone would be interested in making this a club project some sat/sun afternoon in the next few weeks?  I do not know much about how to do it, and if anyone has had experience, I am sure it would make a great activity.  We could all put together a small portion. 
    Also, I am looking for some dry base rock to create my wall with as well, so please let me know.  I am trying to keep my cost down, as everyone is.  Look forward to see if this can be put togetehr, even if it is just a few people.
    -Heath

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    What I've seen people do is to measure out the back wall and make it out of one big pice of foam and then cut it into four pieces so that it can fit back into the tank easily.

Here's a link to a guy that made a step by step build on a rock wall. It's for freshwater, but you can just sculpt it differently t make it look more "reefy". I also have another build saved somewhere but it will take me a while to find, I'll post that one when I find it.

Adam

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/17.asp

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another option would be use a piece of egg crate, zip tie all the base rock to it, and then there is a foam that you will use the cover the rest of the egg crate. When that is all dry use a glue to cover the rock and foam to give it a natural look. They have a few builds on RC that show you how to do this and the stuff that you will need. I think that is might be a bigger project then a weekend thing. But if you decide to do it. Take lots of pics and post the progress. There are many here that would like to see.
    There is a link that someone did with the egg crate style. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1559786

4. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have seen the egg crate idea which is what I was wanting to do. I thought it would be a fun activity to share as a club project. Is there any interest? We could at least cut out the back frame, organize the aches and tie everything together as well as put the form on the crate to get the foundation complete readying it for the epoxy/sand step for a later date.

Still looking for dry base rock. Any out there?

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it would be alright to have this as a club event. But here's the status for the QC area.
    No one showed to Feb's meeting
    Monkey Man (Kevin) has ben MIA for about 2 months.
    My wife is ready to "pop" any time in 1 to 2 weeks from now, which renders me useless for setting up an April meeting or attending.
    Most of my focus will turn to a GIRS tank set up at Muscatine Library for donations for a little while.

6. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am just throwing out the idea just to see if there is any interest as well. My wife is about ready to pop as well. Maybe we can have an event while our gals are laboring. Think they would mind? I have never thought about using the casting mesh cloth from the hospital to make a reef structure from.
    I also am not in as big of a rush to get it done since my Adam at AE sold the tank I wanted to get (great for him, bad for me). Hopefully one will come up again soon. Just in case anyone knows of anything, I am looking for a 75 or 90g RR in good shape.