1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Reef Safe Epoxy or Putty?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, May 20, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So my snails do a fantastic job at keeping my tank clean. I almost have no maintenance as far as glass cleaning goes. The problem I do have is they tend to bulldoze some of my smaller frags. No matter where I move them in the tank they end up getting chucked down into the sand bed. No harm has been done that I can see (yet) but I want to avoid this. For this reason I am looking for a reef safe epoxy or putty. Here is the catch... my rockwork as attached via holes and zip ties, so I can't really pull it out too easily. Is there some sort of epoxy or putty I can use underwater that is safe? I am crossing my fingers that there is something I can actually apply IN the water rather than having to pull everything out. It doesn't need to cure like cement per se, just something a little holding strength that can keep my frags where I want them. Something that stays the consistancy of medeling clay would even work. Doesn't need to hardedn, just get the job done. Like I said I am not sure if such a product exists, but it would sure save the headache of having to remove all my rocks from the tank and gluing things down to them.

2. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use "coral glue" made be two little fish. Its in a little super glue like bottle and the directions say to use out of water but i put frags where i want them on a rock while under water, take the tube and stick it under water and put a few drop around or on the plug or frag and stick it in place. holds like cement. Its just like underwater super glue because the water is actually what makes the glue set and harden in about 45-60 seconds. Works good. I had the same exact problem so experimented and it works great.

They also make stuff called "coral affix" that comes in coraline color that is suppose to work well under water but that stuff I use cant be easier and holds like crazy.

3. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You can use the gel style superglue and for an epoxy putty you can use AquaMend available at Home Depot. What works well is to superglue the frag to a small wad of putty, then spread some super glue onto the opposite side of the putty and press it onto the live rock. Before long the epoxy covers in coralline and it's easy as can be.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Careful using that non reef epoxy putty, if you use too much it will make your skimmers go absolutely crazy!

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the responses. Both of these methods sound permanent? Or is it fairly easy to remove without damaging the coral? The reason I ask is that I also don;t want to cement something down that may potentially need to be moved in the future.

6. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That stuff I use for sure isnt permenant. Its very brittle so its easy to break off where you glued down. I move stuff in my tank every other week and it comes off with no problems. Good luck with whatever you decide.