1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Reef lighting overpriced?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaun, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok. Well I got some info today that just kinda iratates me. Our electrical contractor where I work was installing new lights in our back room. He was putting up 60 inch 3 bulb T5's. I got to talking to him and found out that that fixture cost (retail) is about $100 new. I started to ask more questions about it. As it turns out it is almost the same with two diferences. These use a white reflector and these do not have a switch on the balast to turn it on or off. The reflectors are painted aluminumn, how hard can it be to strip off the white paint? The switch, ok spend another 2 dollars and buy a light switch at true value problem solved.   Also as I talked to him some I found out that they also deal with MH lighting, Now I will have to do more research on the ones he sells but at $30 for a NEW 200 watt ballast and $12 for the reflector how in the world can you go wrong. I am wondering why every time I price "reef" lighting I end up looking at spending several hundred dolars at the least? Like I say I am going to do some more research on the MH lights but if they are compatable with my reef you bet that is what I am going to do. Just wanted to share this. Maybe next time you go looking for a new light you may think about heading down to the electrical contractors supply, may save you a bundle. Shaun

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a ballast is a ballast just a reef name on it thay will work fine i use them as well only thing is thay put it in a fancey box put halmition on it and mark it 499.99 now a bulb is not just a bulb you do have good and bad

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about getting a couple MH ballests and reflectors from the contractor supply and the bulbs from Marine Depot. I did the math and going this way will save me several hundred. Shaun

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The ballasts he is using are probably Electromagnetic ballasts, not Electronic ballasts!

Electromagnetic ballasts are mostly used by contractors, they are cheap yes but they are also very inefficient and produce two to four times the heat as a Electronic ballast. 
    As far as the reflectors go, you could use a light coat of air craft stripper to remove the paint, but the manufacture probably used some type of media to blast (prep) the surface for paint.
    So chances are you would have to polish the reflector, and that takes allot of time!!!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you because I'm a huge DIYer, but I also looked into this route. (you get what you pay for).

Just my 2 cents.
    -Rick-

5. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It's the same way with skimmers. For $40 - 50 in parts and a pump you can build a skimmer that does what the big names do for hundreds of dollars.

6. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've always used mag ballasts, so do alot of other reefers.