1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Reef Friendly Urchins and Starfish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What kinds of urchins and/or starfish do you keep? Any issues with them eating / damaging corals?

2. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know a few people that have been able to keep blue linkia in large reef tanks with no issues

3. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By cowdust9 on 06/09/2009 02:06 PM
    i know a few people that have been able to keep blue linkia in large reef tanks with no issues Bob, stay away from Linkia starfish, this is an advanced starfish and very hard to keep.
    Bout the best kind to get for starfish is Serpent Stars, very easy to keep as long as you don't have any starfish predators in your tank.
    As far as Urchins, I try to go with long spin and Pencil urchans in my display, have trouble with the pincushions picking frags up off the rock and carrying them on their backs.  Once a coral grows to the rock they are safe from the pencil urchin.

4. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I really like the Linkia...but, you're right, my system is too small and too low-tech for them.
    I'm a little baffled over the urchins though...most everything I've read says to add them to reefs "with caution". So, some must be more destructive than others.
    Jeremy - your urchins are pretty big too, and don't seem to get into trouble

5. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    In the magazine I just read they said the linkias are impossible for anyone but the most experienced reefers to keep. They go into depth about the fromia starfish family being the easiest, and they also have some really neat patterns. They don't talk about brittle/serpent stars but I know they are really easy to keep, I have 3 and they are thriving...

6. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i had a long spine and got rid of him because he ate all the coraline algea in my tank and when he got big he kept knocking over and braking my corals