1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Red - string like algae?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Aug 29, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have this red string like algae growing in my tank, it seems to grow from the rocks more than anything...  the most recent changes have been new lights about a month ago from 260W PC to 8X54 T5's.  this 'algae' has been bothering me for about a week now and I am not to sure what to do.  Also it seems there are tiny bubbles at the tips of the algae, doesn't really look like bubble algae well not the kind I have seen in person anyway... 
    I am going to back off on feeding and see where that takes things, what do you guys think?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's not algae... It's Cyanobacteria.

You need to increase the amount of flow in your tank and/or reduce the nutrient levels.

-JB

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I have plenty of flow... I have one Koralia 4, Koralia 2 and a maxijet 1200 for power heads. You say reduce the nutrient levels, that being food and phytoplankton?

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know there's some shrimp that'll eat it. 

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have peppermint and Cleaner I hope its one of them.

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The nutrients JB is talking about is Phosphates and Nitrates. Water changes are in order and measure these parameters. The bet is both are high. We all go through this one in the beginning. If phosphates are high a phosphate reactor may be needed. If nitrates are high - Macro Algae, water changes, sugar/alcohol, mangroves or a nitrate reactor will help solve the problem.

7. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yeah I have had alot of that stuff before just make sure not to overfeed your fish and stay regular on water changes. The quickest fix is a phosphate reactor though.

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just did a water change last night...  I did get a little behind (its been 2 weeks) on water changes as I was busy maybe part of the problem?  Anyway, I will really watch the feeding making sure all food is spoken for, haven't really done that in the past.

9. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The cyano comes out pretty easy if you build a siphon out of a piece of airline tubing. If you let it grow out, and then harvest it back, and let it grow out again, etc you can export the nutrients it's using. Eventually it will stop growing back.