1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Red planaria

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Feb 28, 2009.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I love this hobby so much...  All of my fish are in QT with ich again and now I have a sizeable red planaria infestation.  I really didn't notice these little guys until I put my fish into QT the first time, but they disappeared as soon as I put my fish back in the tank, so I didn't think much of it.  I think my longnose butterfly found them tasty.  Anyway, now that he's back in QT they're starting to take over.  I think they really like the reef chili I've been feeding my corals.
    Does anyone know of a good fishless solution to this?  I've read that sailfert makes Worm eXit, but I've seen cautions about using it in a reef because the planaria release toxins upon death.  I'm looking for some guidance on this from someone who has had to deal with it and don't want to kill my inverts and corals in the fallow display tank /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Salifert's Flatworm Exit kills em fast and easy, just be ready to syphon out the dead and be ready to run carbon and do a water change after the treatment.

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm going to try to suck as many out as I can and then treat the tank before I put my fish back in.

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    What size tank do you have? Number of fish? Type of fish? I would think something has to be out of wack to be having ich this much. Usually ich needs a form of tigger to blow out of proportion, possibly to many fish or a large fish being stressed by a small tank or two fish fighting. Not 100% but the moving back and forth between a main tank and a qt tank might not be helping the situation either.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The tank is a 120 with a 55 sump. I didn't QT a powder blue tang I got and it gave ich to my whole tank. During the course of the month long QT the first time, the powder blue died and caused a giant ammonia spike in my QT tank so I had to transfer all of the fish back to my display tank. Probably not a good idea since it was a really stressful situation. Well, after 3 days the blue hippo had ich again, and the the clowns got it 2 weeks after that so they are back in QT, but now I'm going to leave the display fallow for 8 weeks. The tank has 2 clowns, 3 chromis, a blue hippo tang and a longnose butterfly fish. Params are all excellent, 0 for everything (Amm, nitrite, nitrate, phos) 420 calc, 4.0 Alk, 1.026 salinity. The corals all look great, so I'm not sure that tank params are the issue. I think I just didn't get rid of the ich the first time I left the tank fallow. I started last week feeding my tank daily with reef chili since there are no fish in there and thought my corals were hungry. This is when I noticed the planaria spike, so I think I'm going to go back to my twice a week feeding and suck out as many of those little guys as I can to see if I can get it under control naturally. I've heard worm exit kills the planaria, but can also take inverts and corals along for the ride when they release toxins into the tank.

6. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i've heard of people having great luck using a yellow damsel to remove flatworms.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sixline wrasses are known to eat them as well. I've never "heard" of butterflies eating them, but I have reason to believe that some do.

The best thing you can do is dose with Flatworm Exit and then have something in your tank that can decimate any population that manages to survive. Flatworm Exit does a great job, but it will not get all of them (at least not at the recommended dose). Follow the instructions carefully and you won't have any problems.

-JB

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've read that green chromis, damsels and some butterflies eat them. Since all of my fish are in QT, there's nothing in there to control the population. Do any of you know of a local place that sells flatworm exit? Thanks for all of the advice guys!

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What are you doing to cure the fish in your quarantine tank of ich?   If you leave your tank fallow, but don't treat the fish, you're just going to have ich in your display tank again as soon as you ad the fish back.
    Personally, I agree with Glaspie...    The worst think you can do with saltwater ich is over-react because often the cure is worse than the disease.   Keep the fish stress free and well fed with a varied healthy diet and they will have no problem fighting it off.
    -JB

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They're in a cycled 30 gallon QT tank with coppersafe. They're fed a combination of formula 1, formula 2, and mysis. I never had an ich problem until the powder blue was introduced. We'll see how they look when I put them back in there in 7 weeks.

Thanks JB

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sucked a bunch of them out last night with some air hose. Those little things STINK.

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a link with some info on it that may prove helpful.
    http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html
    --AJ

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks ap, I read that page already. I've heard a lot of worm eXit horror stories so that's why I'm going to see if reduced coral feeding and diligent worm removal work first.