1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Red Bugs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do believe that i have my first confirmed case of them.  Not sure where they came from, but regardless they are there.  I would like a few opinions on the best way to get rid of them.

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Jerry,
    Sorry to hear that you got them.  I don't think they're that big of a deal in comparison to the other stuff out there.  Treatment is easy as long as you have Interceptor to treat them.  Below is a link to the original treatment.  I believe it's still the best method.  You might want to remove your inverts to a QT system if possible.  A small percentage will live but the 3 treatments will kill most of them.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=324266

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Long thread, but I do have a dog. I think I will try to talk to my vet first and explain to him what I am doing and see if he will help me out.

4. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Whats a red bug look like? I mean besides the red part.............

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://melevsreef.com/id/redbugs.html

6. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Whats a red bug look like? I mean besides the red part.............

first line from link
    One of the blights of many SPS keepers has been the notorious red bugs, which aren't even red! These tiny fleas are yellow

Gees I gues I am kind a dumb

7. Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    How goes the battle? Have you started treating your tank yet?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have not started treating yet, but I did talk to my vet and they are helping me get the 3 doses that I need as close to perfect as I need. They were helping me do the research, so I don't kill other things.

9. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ipiniowa on 04/01/2008 5:11 PM
    Have not started treating yet, but I did talk to my vet and they are helping me get the 3 doses that I need as close to perfect as I need. They were helping me do the research, so I don't kill other things.
    Thats awesome that a vet is getting that involved. Wish there were more of them like that.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will be ready for my treatment process to start tomorrow. Does anyone have an old 10G in the DM area that I can borrow as QT for my snails and crabs? If not I will go buy one.

Thanks,

Jerry

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to bump this to the top and give a great vet a recommendation if you ever have this issue. Went there today to pick up the interceptor since I have been pretty busy. He had calculated the dosages off of the same link that Sone gave me, and had the medication in the EXACT amounts that I needed for the 3 treatments. Along with that he had printed out the treatment method and Highlighted the important points.

Ankeny Animal and Avian Clinic
    742 Ankeny Blvd
    Ankeny, IA

515-964-pets (7387)

12. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats pretty awsome. Thanks for sharing the contact information.

13. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jerry, thanks for the info and good luck with your treatments.

14. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jerry, I just read this now. I have a 10 gallon if you still need it. I am doubting you do, but I could bring it in tomorrow if so.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 04/08/2008 2:31 PM
    Jerry, I just read this now. I have a 10 gallon if you still need it. I am doubting you do, but I could bring it in tomorrow if so.
    Thanks Joel.  I decided to go buy a 10 gallon since they were only $10 at Wally World.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ****UPDATE****
    3 1/2 hours into treatment, Red Bugs are off corals and the blue legged hermit crabs that I couldn't reach are all dead. Snails I couldn't reach are still moving.
    I will be performing a 25% water change (roughly 65 gallons) at 9:30 tonight.