1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Red Bugs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kgehrke, Jan 29, 2009.

1. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everybody. I found red bugs on one of my sps frags tonight. I was just looking through frags and noticed that this one hadn't grown much and wasn't showing the color it should be, or polyp extension.
    It only appears to be on one frag right now. Is this possible?
    All my sps is currently movable, should I get some interceptor and dip it all or is this useless?
    What a pain...
    Thanks in advance.

2. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like I need about three tabs of interceptor. QT my shrimp and some snails, then target wash the sps. Dissolve one tab in about 30ml of water, for the wash. Repeat twice more.

Does this sound right?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2nd try. Hopefully I don't double post. I read a thread on reefsanctuary where somebody just went through this. Maybe it will help:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-hitchhiker-id/37421-possible-red-bugs.html?highlight=red+bugs

4. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

5. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have read that dragonface pipe fish work really well,but you do need a tank with a good amount of pods because they rarely eat frozen,look them up pretty cool looking critters.

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Link didn't work, but I've been reading up. I saw the pipe fish thing, but it's just not for me. I'd rather do without that. Right now I'm trying to decide on whether to put the acros in the QT and treat it, or put the shrimp and hermits in the QT and treat the main tank...

8. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    plan of action:

remove shrimp, hermits, snails.
    Dose 280mg crushed 51-100lb tab of interceptor
    Let tank run 8 hrs with no carbon, skimmer airless, or other
    do 25% waterchange, add 2 cups new carbon, plug air back into skimmer.
    wait one week, then repeat.

Sound good?

9. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good to me and make sure you do the treatment at least three times to the whole tank.

This was the best thing I ever did for my tank. The growth will take off after the treatment.

10. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to pull the sps out and just dose in a small container. As red bugs don't lay eggs theres no need to dose a whole tank if the peice is easily movable. Just a thought Jason

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Red bugs only live in coral? Or do they infest the rocks too?

12. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would just remove as many hermits as you can and dose the tank. 1 large pill treats like 400 gallons. When i had them, I just crushed up a pill, dissolved it in a cup of water and dumped it in. The only thing it killed was a few hermits, all of my peppermint shrimp, coral banded shrimp, and sails lived. After the treatment, i did a 10% water change and ran fresh carbon. I guess if you can pull all your SPS fairly easily treating in a separate tank would be be ideal but more than likely your SPS have encrusted onto the rock and its probably going to be a total PITA to remove them. Personally, I would just treat the whole tank, especially if its fairly small.

13. Dystopia

Dystopia Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  14. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the advice all. I like the idea of pulling out all the acro frags, but I don't have good lights on my QT. It will be easier to pull out the cleaner shrimp and some snails. I looked more closely at all of my acros tonight and noticed that they were on about %50 of them. It's disheartening, but I'm excited to see the results of getting rid of them. I'm really wondering where they came from originally. I must've had them for a while...

15. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can not find one single place in ames that sells this stuff. Where did you guys find it at?

16. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    you have to get it from a veterinarian. Make sure you print out some info on the uses before you try to buy some or you might have a hard time getting it.