1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RED ALGE

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by Guest, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am having a terrible problem with red alge in my tank. It has virtually consumed my green star pollips and it taking a toll on everything else. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas other than water changes??

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry for the miss spell, algae ;-)

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    water changes would be how to fix the problem that is making the algae grow. but if you want to get rid of the algae right away. Use ChemClean. you can get it at any pet store. This won't fix what is causing the algae growth, but will get rid of the algae itself.

4. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Be careful with chemiclean... I used it a while back and u can find my thread about it. I didn't lose anything but it damaged parts of my sps and had to snip a few branches. Such as much out as possible, 50% water change and phosphate reactor is a good start. U need to find out how ur introducing it to ur water tho or it will never go away for good. Mine was over feeding and bad RO cartridges.

Finding the cause is the first thing. Then attack what's in the tank. Up your flow and cut back lights a bit whole attacking it and that will help. The chemiclean CAN work but I'd NEVER EVER use it again. I have a full container of it you can have for half price if u want. I just never threw it away cuz it cost me 25$.

Be patient... It takes time. It won't kill anything if u start attacking it now and find the cause. It's ugly and annoying as hell but it's just high phos and nitrate so it's beatable if ur patient and do it the right way.

5. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    What do you have for lights? Use a turkey baster to keep it off your prized possessions until you figure out your problem. What do you use for flow?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my lighting is just a couple of vho attenics and two power compact bulbs. For flow i have one of the larger Koralias. And thanks so much for the feedback everyone!!

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What worked really well for me is was to turn off the lights for 72 hours.

Water changes will help but they are a photo synthitic dependant bacteria.

8. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone but this problem went away soon after we limited the number of hours the lights were on and my have partially been part of the cycling process, who knows but it is gone, gone, gone.