1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Red Algae

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been fighting this stuff for a long time.  Now it is growing on one side of the tank only????  It looks like I have a line exactly down the middle.  One side stays clean and the other side slimes up as soon as the lights go on and goes away when I turn the lights off.  This is only a 40 gallon tank so I don't understand how conditions can be different on one side.  Any ideas?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Could be lighting or flow issues. What type of lighting do you have? Is it possible that 1/2 of the tank gets more light than the other? Do you have a powerhead that is blowing on the glass on one side and not the other?

-JB

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have t5 over the entire length of the tank. The flow is probably a bit different. The overflow is on the side where the algae grows and the return is on the other but I have the flow directed towards the "bad" side. Otherwise I have a Koralia on each side directed towards each other. I am in the process of putting together a new fuge and can move the flow from that to the algae side to see if that improves anything. It is larger so will have more flow from it.

4. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Don't you just love algae?  It's so colorful and unpredictable!  I'm on my 5th variety as my tank matures...I just let it run its course as it will pop up and disappear after a few weeks.
    Happen to have any pictures?
    Clarify "I have been fighting this stuff for a long time"...is that days?  Weeks?  Months?
    Often, as a system matures, you'll have oubreaks of various strains of algae until things settle in.  Settling in (maturing) is not only based on the aging of the rock after being moved around and exposed to air, but also the formation of the bacterial colonies, live sand (if applicable), better maintenance, better feeding regime and generally leaving the tank alone and keeping your hands out of it.  Obviously, all these variables change the longer we have a tank and quit messing with it so much.
    While the lighting/algae question has certainly been discussed in the past, the most likely causes are nutrients and lack of flow...and as you're using T5 rather than PC or halides (which you could reverse sides), I can't see it being the lighting as it's emitting from a single tube.
    The difference between the sides is intersting, is the rock on both sides of the tank from the same source?  Was the rock on the algae side exposed to air longer?  Without pics, it almost sounds like the rock on one side is either leeching or is providing nutrients through some sort of die off.
    HTH!
    -Eric

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I set this up on March 1st.  All the rock came from the same place but looking at it I put most of the really coraline covered rock on one side and the less colorful on the side that has algae (I just moved more of the colored stuff to the bad side.).  I can't seem to keep my hands out of the tank so that could be a problem I will have to deal with.  I can't post pics but can email some if you want to pm me the address.  I am running a phosban reactor and skimmer constantly and a uv sporadically (dont want to kill off good bacteria).  I have halides but my few corals quit opening so went back to the t5's and they are all open and happy again.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Karen,

Does the "algae" you are having a problem with produce bubbles during the day? If so, it may be diatoms. It's pretty normal for new tanks to go through a diatom phase and it will most likely subside on it's own in time.

If there are no bubbles and the color is a deep red, then it's most likely cyanobacteria. If it's cyano, it's probably a nutrient problem which could be caused by over feeding or simply not having enough ways to export nutrients from the system. Do you have a refugium setup?

-JB

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No bubbles.  On the sand it looks rust colored but it is red whre it clings to the rock.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i had this problem for the longest time and water changes really beat it for me. i would also scoop up as much as i could from the sand, and i woudl take a tooth brush to the slime on my rock and glass! Good luck! It claimed my GSP!!

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    What's the TDS of the makeup/change water?
    I started my tank with old filters and had issues...and I've been lazy about replacing a part of my RO/DI that I broke recently. I have been using Wal-Mart RO and after an algae outbreak I measured it @ 47 TDS.
    -Eric

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do not have a TDS meter.  Next on my list I guess.  I have to buy my RO at Hy-Vee.  Its the only game in town so whatever it is I have to live with it anyway.  I live in an apartment and they pay for water so can't really run my own.  Interesting to think about though.  I moved some of the rock around and changed the water flow some and it has helped a bit today.  Set up this larger fuge but can't change the pumps on it until I get a different hose for the prefilter so once that  done I will have even more flow through the system and maybe that will finally knock it out.