1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Recent pics from the 15th of May

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, May 16, 2009.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Recent pics.  I've just gone to half my bulbs in an attempt to properly acclimate my bleached corals - I'm finding out that I (like most people) don't give T5's the credit they deserve.  They almost seem more intense than halides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I have a 8X54 t5ho fixture on a 55g and keep it 7" above the water... if I move closer I am asking for trouble. I'm getting a lot of growth though.

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I've got crazy growth - just lacking in coloration - mostly my green caps that are a pale tan.  They've probably grown 3/4" + in all directions (almost like 1.5" in diameter[​IMG]) in 2 months.  Kinda hard to see with my mad photo skills, but there's one below left of overflow and one to the far right, both on top of the rock (maybe I'll move them lower as well).  If you notice, there's a red cap to the right of center that has great color.
    My lighting is 4x54 and I'd rather not raise them above where they are now.
    I never properly acclimated the corals - went from a biocube to 4x54 T5 - looked great for a week or so.
    I've also shortened the photoperiod -
    Before:
    Actinic 7am - 10pm
    10k 1pm - 9pm
    Now:
    1 actinic & 1 10k
    12:30 pm - 10:30pm
    Mostly worried about the green caps, had some zoas (dragon eyes, AOG, bright no-names, green palys) that lost coloration in their skirts that have returned, orange bam-bams always looked fine but were noticeably smaller in diameter with full lighting.  Rainbow frogspawn has already grown an additional head, bird's nest is growing, superman monti is coloring up, grape cap is getting darker, milli is growing and green procillipora is growing like crazy!  Couple of leather and tree corals are doing well - and of course the aiptasia has never looked healthier...
    -Eric

4. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    my red cap is fine but I lowered my green cap for a while... then it went from pale back to green. I should've taken the xenia out... it increased 10 fold in a few weeks. I also had red macroalgae growth and had to increase my cleaner crew. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I'll drop one of the caps to the tank floor tonight as a test - the other one grew into the rock with my green procillipora within days.  Actually kinda strange lookin' - the frag plug it was on is hanging away from the rocks [​IMG].  Out of the tank, that would be called "hanging in mid air"...wonder what you'd call it in the tank - hanging in mid water? [​IMG]
    Hmm...maybe time to frag it...
    It sounds like pale corals/zoa/etc. is the norm until things acclimate to T5's.  I've heard theories that the peak is stronger in a T5, don't really know.  I have seen test results where people are getting crazy pars at the bottom of their tanks after switching from halides, and if you think about it, 216w T5 is equal to 400w MH, but, the halides have a very narrow band of intensity, hence the shimmer lines, and the T5 has the same intensity across the tank.  Almost like lining multiple 400w halides across the tank.
    -Eric