1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XxxTakxxX, Jun 22, 2009.

1. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have recently been reading into Phosban reactors and I was curious to see if it was a necessary piece of equipment for an 85 gallong setup. Being as it is my first setup and all i want to stay simple as possible but if that part would make a big enough difference in water quality then I should probably get one. I'm open to ehar anyones opinions

2. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes they help
    my phosban reactor has gotten rid of all the red algae and 99% of the hair algae
    They are very simple to build I know someone who built one for less than $10 out of PVC andit works just a well as one you buy in the store
    Shaun

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say you don't haft to have one, but it would help.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well depends on what your Phosphate reading are. Have you tested them.
    Phosphate is general added to your system from NOT using a good RO/DI with 0 TDS, over feeding or using bad salt.
    I would test your phosphate levels first but in general a very high percentage of successful reefers use them. Doesn't mean you have to have one, but if you are having any trouble with Algae it may (or maybe not) be the solution.
    Keep in mind the media (GFO) is expensive.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not to jump ship here, but what exactly does a calcium/reactor do???

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just to make sure this makes sense I will explain both since they are two different things. This thread originated talking about a phosphate reactor, which removes phosphate from your reefs water. It does this by passing your water through granular Ferric Oxide (Rust) which happens to remove phosphate.
    A Calcium Reactor adds calcium and Alkalinity to your water by reducing the pH of the water coming into the reactor by adding CO2. The lower pH water then passes through the reactor dissolving the calcium media that is inside hence adding the calcium to the water.
    Hope this helps.