1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! Re-Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corey.nolta, Apr 23, 2017.

1. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    It's been a little over a month since my tank crashed and I made the decision to tear it down. Well This weekend I made the decision to bring her back. A buddy of mine suggested I go a month without the tank to see if it was something I really wanted to stick with. And although it was nice not having that worry/commitment, I most definitely missed it! So here I am, redoing everything right down to the stand.

I'm not much of a wood worker, but my local hardware store had some good sales. How could I resist?! Perfect opportunity...

Photo Apr 16, 7 31 59 PM.jpg

Front of the stand as of tonight. Haven't decided on a paint choice yet. I don't think I'm feeling all black. Most likely will be Light grey and white to match the wall/trim of the room.

Photo Apr 23, 8 32 31 PM.jpg

Rigged up a false center brace, as there would be no way to get the sump in and out when necessary with a permanent brace.

Photo Apr 23, 8 32 50 PM.jpg

Side access door...

Photo Apr 23, 8 33 09 PM.jpg

There will be a "divider" about 6" behind this door, which will create a cabinet of sorts for all my apex and electronics. The opposite side will look identical, but without a door.

Photo Apr 23, 8 33 22 PM.jpg

Next step is to fill in all the holes, chips, and gaps....apply the corner trim (and maybe some decorative pieces - haven't decided yet)...and paint!

I have to say I am pretty damn pleased with myself seeing as this is the first time I have done any wood working projects since high school shop ;)...There are a few things I'm not completely satisfied with, but all in all--damn it's looking sexy!!!

Coincidentally, today I got a notification on Facebook that it was two years ago today that I added my very first saltwater fish to my first saltwater tank. Francesca (maroon clown) and Ollie (yellow tang)! I still have Francesca, unfortunately I lost Ollie :(

I was thinking about starting a blog through this re-building process. Looking back on the first two years, all the ups and downs, and now the re-building of everything.

If you have any suggestions or tips let me know!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Reef keeping really is an addiction! ;)

3. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Stain and Polyurethane are DONE! Decided to go with a dark stain to match the french doors near the tank (the blue tank lights make the stain look almost like a cherry, but there is no actual red/maroon tint to the stain in person). Don't pay attention to the dirty tank, I still have to work on cleaning her out a little more. Also in the middle of a complete kitchen remodel and cabinets are on their way, so I had to get the tank off the floor to make room :D. Currently contemplating whether I leave as is, or if I add some brushed nickel handles. I'm digging the minimalist look to it, but I also love the combination of metal and wood.

DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

Next plan of attack (once tank is cleaned) is to redo my sump. Pulled out all baffles on teardown so I could change the set up around.
    Also working on some nice rock pieces for the aquascape!

I had some "helpers"....This chunky monkey on her thrown right next to the tank.

DSC_0492.jpg

"Dad!!! I'm bored! Pay attention to me!!!"

DSC_0500.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  4. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Decided to knock out the rock work and get the rock into the tank. I used my work bench and tapped out the tank dimensions and was able to put together two large neat pieces. Came up with some pretty awesome shelving spots, tons of nooks and crannies, and even a cave type set up. I definitely was trying to plan it out so it wasn't just a pile of rock in my tank...
    Fast forward to moving the pieces up to the tank...Piece 1 went well. Piece 2, not so much. Not sure what happened, but could not get it to look anything similar to how I had it mocked up. I don't necessarily hate the new outcome, but I don't know if I love it. There just seems to be something off with it. Can't figure it out.

What are your thoughts on it?? Should I add more rock? Leave as is? Let's hear some feedback.
    Just for some additional info, stocking list to consist of: Magnificent Foxface, two clowns, and two b/w stripped damsels for sure. And maybe a few other small fish. Haven't decided yet....
    Thanks!

5. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    It's a good thing sumps are out of sight....working on redoing my baffles (my sump in general) and man I have to say, it's a hot mess! :-/
    Almost to the point I may scrap the baffles and just do an open sump...

6. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Had to put fish tank stuff on hold the past month and a half. Pulled the trigger on our complete Kitchen remodel sooner than planned. Cabinets were delivered and had to be stored in my entry way and living room until install day (2 weeks after delivery), which left little to no room to even think about continuing to work on the tank. Well now the cabinets are hung and countertop has been installed and this weekend I finished the plumbing and filled her with water! She's up and running, and smoothly I might add. I currently have fresh ro/di water running through the tank just to make sure there are no slow leaks/drips and to just try and leech out any debris that may have gotten in the tank during the past month. Who would have thought a remodel would cause so much dust and gunk throughout the whole house ;)

Photo May 16, 7 05 07 PM (1).jpg

Two "bummer" moments I'm trying to figure out now. 1.) the new sump setup is MUCH louder than previous set up. The way I have the drain pipes and filter socks set up this time around, they are above the water line. Plus side, I'll never have to worry about the aeration of the tank! If anything, I might cut down the pipe and add a union with a hose so I can get it level with the water level of the sump.

File Jun 24, 5 29 54 PM.jpeg

2.) I forgot to put the center brace in before cabinets showed up, so it's been off to the side for a solid month. Well it's been pretty hot and humid here and the wood has swelled a little bit, and I can't get the brace back in at the moment. So I'm looking at the tank with a huge gap between the doors :-| Hopefully I can pop it back in this week with it being much cooler.

File Jun 24, 5 29 14 PM.jpeg

Definitely excited to have her up and running again!

7. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Finally finished the apex cabinet part of the stand! Not the prettiest looking, but it keeps everything nice and organized. Just need to finish organizing the cords on the back half. Hello zipties!

File Jul 17, 7 47 33 PM.jpeg

Also, it's official, the ugly phase has begun! This was a few days ago, but it has definitely gotten worse/thicker. Bought a ton of Kents Phosphate sponge when Petco had it's 80% off, so I'll be running that for the next few weeks and then will switch over to my gfo. She's coming along!

Tank 3-.jpg

8. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    Looks great keep the updates coming

9. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Full Tank shot of the beauty prior to the ugly phase.

Tank 3-0613.jpg

Hammer after tank crash vs now. Making a pretty good comeback.

Tank 3-0599.jpg

Tank 3-0710.jpg

Duncan after crash vs now. Getting some length back!

Tank 3-0600.jpg

Tank 3-0681.jpg

I also did a thing this week.....
    I know some will say it's playing with fire, having two tangs in a 90, but I couldn't resist. I was out of town for a concert and ended up being in the right place at the right time. Both were tank mates in their previous tank, and were introduced at the same time into my tank. My tank is pretty empty and open, so I felt like I had ample swimming space and several caves/alcoves for each to find their spot.

Day 3 and they are eating like pigs already in my tank and swim / hang out together. Every now and then one will do their little "butt fight" to keep the other in check, but nothing major at this point that I've witnessed. As of right now they are sleeping in the same cave.

Meet Tiana (Purple) and Shark Breath (Yellow) (names curtesy of the niece and nephew)

Tank 3-0733.jpg

Tank 3-0732.jpg

Tank 3-0711.jpg

Tank 3-0697.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Love that purple tang...better not let my wife see that, it's her favorite color...she'll want one!

11. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I was so excited. Purple tang has always been one of my dream fish. And it's actually a good fat healthy one.

I did end up having to put in a divider for the time being. The yellow tang has some of the biggest barbs I've see on a tang. The purples back end is looking a little worn. Hopefully the divider for a few weeks will help!! If you can't get along you get banished to opposite sides of the tank. ;)
    Ps...Just look at all that prime real estate that needs some coral lovin'!

Tank 3--3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  12. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I also finally started working on a small frag tank set up. It's not the snazziest of set ups, but it's functional. Just a small 15 gallon frag tank with a 20 gallon sump. I'll seed it with some rock from my display tank as well as the filter socks at next w/c.
    I'll eventually probably move my maroon clown from my sump to the frag tank too. Time to start buying some coral for the two tanks!

Tank 3--4.jpg

13. Yeah I have a purple and a yellow in a 700 gallon. Even in that big of space the yellow nips the purple every once in awhile. Yellow tangs can be bullies! I have 2 blue hippos and some other larger tangs and all of them are fine.

14. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    A 700 gallon tank?! Man I wish! That would be epic

Sent from my iPhone via App

15. Not my personal tank. I just take care of it. It's nice but I have no control over what goes into it.