1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RBTA splitting? Time will tell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Mar 24, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got home today and noticed my RBTA had moved higher up on the rock...right at the surface of the water.  It's still attached and the foot appears to be much larger than I've ever seen it...making me thing that it has split.  I recently added a diamond goby which put a bunch of crap in the water.  Then I did a 10% water change and a day later, it looks like it's splitting.  I'm going to keep an eye on it to see what happens.  I'll post pics later.
    --AJ

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Good luck with the split

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jason.

This guy is moving all over the rock. It's never moved before and it's been eating and growing well. The only thing that I can think of is that it's not happy due to the silt that the goby kicked up and it's looking for better water, or it's trying to find a sharp edge to help with the splitting. The foot is normally about the size of a silver dollar when attached as it has been for months, but today, it's over twice that sized and all swelled up. We'll see what it looks like later tonight.

--AJ

4. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good luck - could you get pictures of it?

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've snapped a few, but so far, there's not been anything other than an anemone moving around. If/when it starts to split and I'm around, I'll be sure to snap pics.

--AJ

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Four hours later and it looks like it's just taking a tour of my tank. Maybe I'll wake up to a split anemone, and maybe I'll wake up to an anemone on the other side of the tank...who knows.

--AJ

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So this morning, that anemone seemed to settle back in it's old home. I'm not sure what's going on with that thing and why it was taking a tour of my tank last night, but it looks like no split is in the plans for now.

8. Maybe he just wanted to see the scenes...

9. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when they swell their foot up like that, it's just because they are moving. they expand their foot, grab ahold of something in the direction they want to go, then contract their foot. mine usually split at night, and sometimes get around 12" before they decide to split.

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I noticed that.  I've never seen it move before.  When I got it, it never moved when I was watching.  Once it found it's "happy place", it set it's foot and has just stayed there.  What had me thinking that it was going to or in the process of splitting was the way that the foot was wrapped around the edge of the rock.  The piece of rock that it was on is about 3" round (kind of a branch like rock) and it had a good amount of foot on each side.  that made me think that it had already split the foot and was splitting the rest against the end edge of the rock.  Anyway, it has since moved right back to it's original location and seems the he happy again.
    --AJ